32: Hurts Like Hell (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"R-really?" Castle asked, perking up.

"Yeah, I think so at least."

"I won't be mad if you change your mind."

"I won't." She smiled small.

"Thank you, Beckett. Really thank you," Castle paused, the silence a bit more bearable, "I just have one question," he paused again, looking to her, only to have her avert her gaze, she knew what he was about to ask, "What about how we feel about each other?"

"I-I don't know. I didn't really process that yet. I just-did the first part." She closed in on herself.

"Oh, that's ok! We don't have to talk to about that now. I'm just happy that you decided to let me come back to the precinct."

"Ok."

After a few more exchanges the two went their own ways. Monday was the next day so they would get a feel of how it would feel to work together again.

Kate was hoping that Castle wouldn't bring up the fact that she mentioned her feelings for him. But he also said 'we.' What does 'we' mean? Did he feel the same way or was he referring to them just discussing their feelings in general? She didn't know.

The next day, Kate was pleased to see Castle with a coffee in each hand. She smiled when he handed it to her. He smiled back. So far so good, nothing felt awkward yet. And hopefully nothing would.

"Sorry, I'm earlier than usual, I was excited." Castle chuckled.

"You're cute when you're excited." Kate said her eyes growing wide as the realization hit her that she actually said that out loud hit her. Castle had shock written on his face as well and as he opened his mouth to say something, they were interrupted.

"Yo Beckett, what the hell is he doing back here?" Esposito asked irritated.

"It's ok, Espo, we're cool again." Beckett tried.

"You may be, but I'm not."

"Same here." Ryan agreed.

"Did you tell Lanie?" Espo asked, watching Beckett shake her head no, "Just wait till she hears!"

"I'll handle Lanie," Beckett reassured, "But for now, just try and get acquainted with one another. Beckett took the coffee from Castle and sat back down in her chair, taking a sip and smiling. The three men watched her and she seemed unbothered if she felt their eyes on hers. The boys then glared at Castle and went back over to their desks.

"They'll get over it." Beckett said to Castle as he sat down in his chair.

"Have you?" Castle asked.

"No..." Beckett replied honestly, "But I will."

"About earlier...

"You want an update on the case we're working on?"

"Sure." Castle smiled, being patient for Kate.

Beckett then opened the case file and told him about the suspect they were out to get. Castle was giddy now that he was back, coming up with his crazy theories about the Russian mafia and/or aliens. Even the occasional possession.

"Castle, demons did not possess our suspect to kill Adam." Beckett groaned, secretly butterflies fluttering around in her stomach.

"How do you know? Why have bible scriptures all over your wall?" Castle retorted playfully.

"Maybe he's religious."

"Maybe. But still..."

"Castle demons aren't real."