Chapter 14

Who the hell is this?!?

I stare at the small piece of paper in my hand, the edges torn and worn out from being constantly moved around for the past month. The words have brought me so much confusion and paranoia at something that's not even there.

Ugh. I fall back into my chair, throwing the note down on my desk. I look up at my ceiling while lying my head on the chair. I begin to pick out the little dark specks that are illuminated from my desk lamp and start to connect them in my mind into something comprehensible. I let out a deep breath, hoping I can piece this mystery together as well.

~~~

As I'm closing my locker door, I unconsciously let out a yawn.

"HEY!" somebody unexpectedly shouts next to me while I was rubbing my eyes. Startled and confused, I look up and was faced with green eyes that were behind a pair of black rimmed glasses.

"Hi Todd," I said sheepishly with a small smile as I tried to suppress the second yawn in the last 5 minutes.

"Late night?" Todd questioned. "I hope it wasn't because of the note."

And it wasn't. I couldn't sleep from the nightmare that had me twisting and turning in my bed all throughout the night. I was chasing something in a long and dark maze and every time I would shout stop it would just move faster, getting more and more out of my reach.

"Probably, I don't even know," I sigh, completely defeated.

"Hey, don't feel so down," Todd patted my shoulder reassuringly. "You know what, I'll treat you to Starbucks after school. So don't leave without me today!"

The start bell rang just as he finished his sentence.

"I'll see you in math later!" I call out towards the hallway where he was running down to his class. I was answered with a wave and a silent bye.

~~~

I'm sat on the bench next the front door of the school watching couples holding hands and poking fun at each other as they're leaving school for the weekend. I'm almost jealous of them for their happiness.

I sense someone sitting next to me and with the flash of dark hair in my peripheral vision, I knew it was Todd.

"Let's go on the date!" I say excitedly, knowing he would understand my joke.

What.

This isn't Todd.

I'm met with a surprised Jack staring at me. I froze, unsure of how to save myself from what I just blurted out.

Jack clears his throat before asking, "A date?" His look of contentment puzzles me, such a stark contrast to the way he normally speaks to me.

"No no no no no," I try to say before I was interrupted by him.

"I mean we could go to my place tomorrow," he says timidly, unable to meet my eyes. "I was just going to ask you about the science project we have due next week."

Oh shoot. Right. Science project, I think ours is going to be on the circulatory system? I don't even know.

"Ummm..." I didn't know what to say, what exactly can I say?

Jack noticed my apprehensiveness, "I mean, we still need to get that thing done with. Our whole marking period grade is based on that."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course."

"So you're ok with tomorrow?"

Sigh. Bite the bullet by its head. "Yeah, sure. Ok."

The snappy guy is gone and I almost don't recognize him anymore. He looks down at his watch and the speed of him getting up from his seat surprises me.

"Shit, I'm going to be late for practice," he looks as me and he turns to leave, "I'll message you my address, I have to go, bye!"

He spoke so quickly I almost didn't hear what he said.

I'm brought out of my thoughts when Todd, the real Todd, walks out of the school doors.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, my English teacher wouldn't stop talking about her kids," he says as he walks over to my bench. "How about that Starbucks now," he adds with a smirk.

"Yeah, that would be great."

I have a whole lot I need to tell Todd about over an overpriced drink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super unexpected chapter but I was feeling inspired?? Haha I don't even know anymore. I'm going to keep this author's note short and simple so I just hope of you who are still reading this story enjoy. And let me know, I'm not sure where I'll be taking this story and my style has definitely changed a lot over the time I've never updated (sorry!). But yeah, leave your comments and votes, everything is appreciated!