12

"I thought you understood," Luke said, his voice hurt.

"Luke, I- please, please stay away from me," I pleaded in a stammer, backing into the wall.

"I thought you liked me,"

"I-I need some air. I just- I need some air-"

I made my way to the front door, almost opening it until Luke slammed it shut again.

With a desperate look on his once confident face, he stared down at me, blue eyes watering in worry.

"I just wanted you to meet her, doll. I'm sorry if it made you uncomfortable- she's not the most pleasant person to be around, I know,"

"Please let me go," I choked out, my hands on my chest, "I can't breathe in here, Luke,"

"You're such a pretty girl," he whispered, trailing a slow hand down my cheek. I could physically feel myself melting in disgust at his touch, "So much prettier than her. So, so much prettier,"

"Don't touch me. S-Stay away from me!" I bridjly ripped out of his grasp, stumbling into the living room and unknowingly storming past the two children in front of hs.

They stared on in shock, eyes wide open at the sight of Luke and I.

"Daddy?" Corey mumbled, his voice sleepy as he blinked his eyes up at his father, "Wha's going on?"

"Nothing, nothing," Luke said quickly, "Me and Mum are just having a little misunderstanding, that's all-"

"I'm not his mom," I swallowed thickly, shaking my head before raising my voice, "I'm not his mom! I'm not anything! This is- this is so messed up, I- I have to leave-"

"Sophie-"

"You- you killed her! You killed somebody," I choked out, covering my mouth with my hands and letting out a hysterical cry, "You fucking stuffed her body with- with the same things you used to make Ellie's toys!"

"Listen to me, baby, just calm down and listen to me," he pleaded, holding his hands out to relax me.

I refused to listen; every single ounce of mentality I had left had disappeared the second I saw Luke store Chloe's dead body underneath the cellar door.

"My kids- they're hard to please, alright?"

Don't listen, don't listen. I tugged and I pulled on every window in sight, but to no avail.

Everything was glued shut.

"They don't like any girl I bring home. They never have. She's either too loud, or too whiney, or too annoying..." Luke carried on.

I tried another door. Nothing.

Fucking nothing.

"...I scrapped them. Got rid of them. Nobody ever got past dinner with my ex-wife," he was creeping closer, and the lack of distance was starting to terrify me, "When they told me about you, I knew, I just knew you would be the one-"

"Goddamnit!" I cried, pounding my fists against the glass sliding doors. Absolutely zero progress; they were no doubt bulletproof.

"Don't do that, babe. Don't hurt yourself," Luke said, gulping as I rattled the doorframe, "You're gonna end up hurt, Sophie. Please stop,"

"Let me out!"

"I can't," he shook his head.

"Luke, just let me fucking go! I won't tell anyone, I promise, just let me go!"

"I can't do that," he repeated again, tugging on the roots of his hair, "I can't, I can't!"

"Why not?! Why the fuck not?!" I screamed, spinning around.

"They want you. My kids want you. They love you. My kids love you," he repeated continuously. And all of a sudden, I was thrown back against the glass; my back bruising completely at the impact, a groan barely falling from my mouth.

Then I felt a cloth cover my face, the fumes of something sweer invading my sense of smell as Luke held me tight against him, his voice rasping lowly in my ear.

"And I love my kids."