Chapter Eighteen: Part Two

Zacznij od początku

"You are doing good with her. Maricella would be proud of how your bond has progressed." My voice was rough and hoarse but it was the truth. Bailey was timid and shy, as were all Omegas, but she was embracing her bond with Davin. He was good with her, he was what she needed to get better. I had wanted that for Maricella, I wanted to be that for her but I had no clue how. Not now. It was easy when she was with me, could communicate but having her simply gone, locked away in her own mind, prevented me from even knowing where to begin.

"It's okay to miss her. Whenever she got like this I always missed her. It was like a hole in my chest that wouldn't go away." He patted my shoulder again, ignoring how I stiffened. His words were true, despite everything. It felt like I had a giant hole punched into my chest somewhere in the vicinity of my heart. "I'm surprised you left her with Amber."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, I had a headache building deep in my skull but I knew it didn't matter. Not when Maricella was stuck how she was. "Amber is soon to be her mother. That bond is important." I honestly didn't want to talk anymore but Davin had extended several gestures of friendship towards me and I wasn't going to throw that back in his face. I owed him a lot when it came to Maricella.

"Your wolf must be going insane." He said it almost offhandedly and I shrugged.

"He understands." He understood but he didn't like it. He wanted us to be back where we could see our mate. I wanted to open the door and check in on them but I knew Amber needed time. Their bond was new and it was fragile. The strain of Maricella's condition would throw Amber's emotions into chaos. I wondered for a brief moment if Andrew could feel it. If he could feel his daughter's absence and his mate's chaotic emotional state. If it would show him just a fraction of the upheaval of their lives. He deserved to know, to see it himself.

"You should do something. Have a shower, eat something, go for a walk." He said it casually and I stiffened, a growl building in my throat.

"And give them an opportunity to keep me from her?" I leveled him with a deadly stare. There was no way I was going to leave her side and allow them a chance to bar me from seeing her, being with her. The thought made my wolf bristle as his teeth barred in a deadly warning.

Davin slowly shook his head, looking at the floor as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "Amber isn't going to let anyone in and neither will I. No one is going to separate you two. I just need to make sure you are in top shape. Eat something, have a shower. Make sure you are healthy for her." He didn't command me, it was more of a suggestion but I didn't want to leave my position at the door. He glanced at me before he rolled his eyes. "There is a bathroom with a shower, literally right there." He pointed to a door part way down the hall. "I'll get someone to make you something to eat." He moved to the other side of the door and stood guard before waving me off. "I won't move. I promise." He looked at me, his expression was sombre but I could see the truth in his eyes.

I gave a slow nod before slowly moving towards the bathroom. Every fibre of my being was refusing me to move forward but I pushed through it. It did Maricella no good for me to let myself get into a state where I couldn't protect her. The thought was enough to enforce the strict control I had on myself. I moved to the bathroom and slipped inside, locking the door behind me. I ignored the mirror and slipped off the shorts and turned on the shower. I stepped into the freezing water. I hissed slightly, feeling instantly awake but I barely cared as I washed up. I was done everything before the water even had a chance to turn warm. My skin was covered in goosebumps but I ignored it as I grabbed a towel and dried off.

A knock sounded at the door and I couldn't help the snarl that escaped. "Easy, big boy. I have some clothes for you so either you open the door so I can hand them to you or I pop the lock and see you in all your naked glory." Angie's voice was taunting and I scowled at the wood of the door before walking over, unlocking it and opening the door a fraction. A pale hand reached into the crack with a set of clothes. "Shame. Not even allowed a peek." She muttered it as I took the clothes.