Chapter Sixteen

The Mer City was just around the corner, but I didn't want to go there yet. I was still a bit torn up about the events of the day, and needed to think and enjoy the peace a little bit.

I did get back to the city eventually. It occurred to me on the way there that I didn't know exactly where the Mer city was, or the naiad settlements, I just used my gifts to guide me there. I made a not to ask Sapphie about this when I made it back to my room.

I tried to sneak through the castle, but unfortunately Seb caught me and shouted my name. Reluctantly I stopped and turned around.

"There's a meeting in the throne room. Do you know the way?" He asked. I nodded, fairly sure I remembered it from last time. I didn't want him to show me the way, that would just be awkward for both of us.

I arrived at the throne room, thankful for being able to remember the way.A merman in some sort of uniform bowed and showed me to my seat on the long table. A few minutes after I had I arrived, I saw Seb sit down next to his father, the Mer King, looking rather conflicted. I recognised the king, Seb, and a few others that I saw at the meeting before, when I had just arrived at the city for the first time. There were three women, two with long wavy blonde hair and blue eyes that reminded me of Seb's. They both wore a tank top over two slim sky blue tails, and looked so similar I thought that they must be sisters, if not twins.

"Okay. Thank you all for coming at such short notice." The King said, silencing the chattering between the attendants. "I called you here today to discuss what we are going to do about the attack on the Naiad settlement; Hershka. We have no idea if anyone survived the attack, and the ashes of those who didn't are surely enough to prove that we must take action. "

"I beg your pardon, your majesty, but what can we do? Most of us can't leave the water, and Hershka is far inland."

"I think you forget that we have the greatest weapon ever created on our side." The King said. I looked around, confused, and saw that I wasn't the only one a little puzzled. "The godesses have chosen to bestow three souls in one Vessel, including Ania's, who hasn't been seen in over 2000 years. If that isn't a sign that we should act now, I don't know what is."

I sunk as far into my chair as possible, tucking my tail under the chair. The King looked over and smiled at me comfortingly, as if to say that it was okay.

"Of course, a little more time to allow her to come to terms with her power is in order before we stage an attack."

"What do you suggest, your majesty?" An elderly member of the council asked, stroking his short grey beard.

"I suggest we wait a bit, and then we contact the Fae and the Naiads, and we assemble some sort of army. We help however we can from the sea, supply weaponry. We can send the Miraphins to help, to fight."

Miraphins?

Seb came over and whispered to me.

"That means the half humans. There's about 10 of us in the Mer CIty." He said, his breath tickling my ear and making me shiver. Well, when I say breath, I mean the movement in the water as he talked.

"So, Councilor Bream, I want you to start producing weaponry for on land. I want any Miraphins who are eligible and want to fight trained to the best of their abilities about fighting on land. Councilor Snapfish, contact the Naiad and Fae councils. Find out their plans, support them in any way possible. I'm tired of hiding beneath the waters. It's time we stopped Aria once and for all."

I went back to my room, and found Sapphie waiting there.

"Sapphie!" I said, pleased to see her. She smiled and ran to hug me, and then broke the hug and curtsied. "Don't be silly, I'd much rather have a hug."

She smiled even more and then hugged me again. 

"How are you?" I asked.

"I'm fine. Better then fine, really. Since I was offered this job, we've been able to get help for my dad, who was very ill, but he's almost back to normal now, back on his feet and everything."

"That's so great! You should have told me earlier. I could have helped." I said.

"You're like a queen, Jade, I couldn't burden you like that. But anyway, he's a lot better now." She said, smiling again.

"Ok." I said, seeing that she didn't want to talk about it any more. "I've been meaning to ask, where exactly is the Mer King and the Naiad settlements in comparison to the human world?"

"Mm... That's a bit complicated. There are gateways, all over the world. They can only be accessed by one of the three races, or in your case, the vessel of one of the gods. The Naiad Country is kind of between france and spain, but anyone who is not of the three races or a vessel would walk through the gateway on the border and be transported straight to the next country, not even knowing it's there. It's the same for the Mer Kingdom, but smaller ones located in the seas. The Fae... Are a little different. They do not have the same... physical bodies as we do. They are... air. Most of them choose to live in the Naiad country, and a few in the human world."

She stopped.

"Tell me more of the Fae."

"When they choose to take a form, they appear much less human than you would expect. They have very angular faces, and pointed ears, and are very slim and agile. They are said to have the grace of a cat when they walk, but they fly most often I am told. They have wings like a dragonfly. I have always wished to see one- they seem so magical- but I cannot leave the water."

There was a knock on the door, and Seb poked his head round. I suppressed the urge to run and hide under the shell bed in the middle of the room. I really didn't want to face him.

"Swim with me, Jade?" He asked. I paused, but then followed him out of the room.

"During the preparations for the war, both the Naiad Country and the Mer City will be unfit for a woman of your standings. My father has asked if you would go to your human home for the time being." He said formally, not looking me in the eye.

There was a moment of silence.

"Tell me." I said quietly. "Do I seem delicate to you?"

"No." He said.

"And I am your 'weapon' in the coming war, as your father said?"

"Yes."

"Then why should I not stay if I wish to? I am not as frail as you seem to think I am. I should train alongside the others. If you wished to protect me so much, why-" I choked on my own words.

"Why what?" He asked.

"Why take back something so magical, why destroy something so perfect? Why hurt me? For someone who wishes to protect me, you have a funny way of showing it. Hurting me where it hurts most." I said loudly and clearly, fighting hard to keep the tears down.

Before he could say another word, I swam back to my room, and slammed the driftwood door behind me.

When I was sure we was gone, I burst into tears.

I was slamming on the keyboard so hard at the end. Even if he is a fictional character, he annoys me!

Thanks for reading. I've been writing lots recently because of all the votes and comments that I've been getting so thanks so much you guys!

From Soph xx:)