Chapter Nine

School.

I don't think a pair of eyes left my back as I walked through the gates. I watched my feet instead of looking at their faces, my fingers fiddling with the edge of my sleeves.

I went around the library, avoiding everyone. No one ever went to the library, so it was empty. Quiet, and peaceful. But it had to end at some point, and soon the bell went for first lesson

I went to my locker first, and got my English books. I saw Anna down the corridor, and made sure that I went the other way, hoping she didn't see me.

It was hard, going back. Knowing that so much was out there, it changed my perspective so much. It amazed me that no one here knew of anything I'd seen. If I told them, they'd think I was crazy. So I didn't. I avoided everyone I knew all day, and pretty much didn't say a word.

Apart from at lunch. That's why I say pretty much.

I was sat in the canteen, in the corner on my own, hoping not to be noticed. Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. I saw Kirsty coming towards me.

"Hey dork! Where have you been? School getting too much for you?" She sneered.

"Go away Kirsty." I sighed.

"Or what? No one to help you now. Everyone hates you!"

"Kirsty. Leave me alone." I said louder. I was beginning to get a bit pissed off. I mean, who does she think she is?

"Or what?"

And that's when my water bottle exploded in her face. The lid went about a metre up, and the water went straight into her face. I gasped, realising that must have been me, and failed to hide giggles as Kirsty stormed out of the canteen dripping wet. Her groupies rushed after her, comforting her, after giving me glares.

I laughed a bit, and then went back to my food.

Last lesson was long jump, in gym/PE. We all lined up, behind the outdoor sand pit, getting ready to run and jump as far as we could.

"I wonder if you can even make it to the sand pit, dork." Kirsty jeered.

I smirked at her slightly, ignoring her comment, but I was angry at her again. She had to go out of her way to make me feel miserable.

It was my go now. I walked backwards to the starting line, and then I ran. I felt the wind rushing past me as I leapt into the air. It all went slowly, like in movies. The wind was under my feet, pushing me up. It felt amazing, like it did when I first came to the mer city.

And then my feet felt the sand. I landed perfectly on the balls of my feet. I looked back, to see I had jumped about five meters. It was unlikely, but not impossible, so people wouldn't get suspicious. I grinned and stepped off the sand, smirking at Kirsty. She gaped at me and then sneered.

I walked home on my own and sat at home, just on one of the wooden chairs in the kitchen. And I took out my hands.

I could try, but I would never fit in here. I wasn't who I was. I wasn't human any more.

I walked up and outside. I ran, headed towards the beach, but I stopped in the forest. It was getting dark, and the little light was flickering through the orange and yellow leaves. I took off my shoes, and left them by a tree.

I stepped into the dry mud and grass. It felt nice under my feet. I looked back and saw that where I had stepped was now green with fresh grass and even a few pink flowers.

"Jade." A soft male voice said. I turned to see Seb, the mer kings son. I remembered him from when I woke up.

"I'm here to help you. I know it must be hard." He said.

He sat on the grass, and I sat opposite him, just playing with the odd sprigs of grass beneath us as I spoke.

"You have no idea. Sometimes, I think that I like having these powers. But other times I hate it. I'm not human any more. I don't belong where I used to. And other times, I kind of feel afraid. Of what I can do." I said, quietly. He nodded.

"It will be hard. You won't ever fit in here, not now. But you can, at least in some ways, in the Mer kingdom, the Silver City. Or the different Naiad settlements, or the Fae city, Myst. It won't be so hard, now. The Kingdoms are selecting different people from the Naiads and the mer to help you with Avia's and Acia's will".

"What about Ania? A third person?"

"We don't have any way of knowing for Ania. There are different instruments for Acia and Avia, but they were made by the vessels after Ania had faded away. You might have to choose." He explained

"Can you leave me now? To think?" I asked.

"Of course. And Jade?"

"Yes?"

"You can talk to me. I'm here, always."

"Thank you, Seb." I smiled, and he left me to my own thoughts.

Thought I'd upload twice because the last chapter wasn't very exciting :) I'll probably post the next chapter on the weekend, which will probably be a bit more interesting :) Thanks for reading!