Chapter Eleven

I woke up slowly, peacefully, quietly. It was one of the best nights sleep I'd had in a while.

I knew that I had to go back. I didn't belong here, the Godesses knew it, I knew it. I went downstairs, and found mum eating breakfast.

"Mum... I have to go again." I said. She put her spoon down, and turned around to face me.

"For how long?"

"I... Don't know. I'm sorry mum, I've changed so much so that I don't belong here anymore. I will find a way of keeping in contact. Tell Anna that I'm sorry." I said. Mum stood up, walked over and pulled me into a hug, almost squishing me.

"Ok honey, do what you have to. But promise me that you'll be careful?" She whispered in my eat.

"I promise."

Mum walked down with me to the front door. Her face was turned down, but her blue eyes were accepting, she knew it had to be like this. When we'd reached the sand, she pulled me into one last hug.

"I love you, sweetie, whatever and whoever you are. Take care and remember that."

I was now crying, tears rolling down my cheeks and my eyes red and puffy. I was going to miss mum. I would miss home too. It just made it worse that she let me go so easily.

Seb was waiting outside, expecting me to come to school with him. He saw my tear stained face, and his became full of concern. He put his hand on my shoulder, his eyes asking the question of what was wrong.

"Seb? Let's go home." I said, my eyes pleading. He smiled sympathetically, and took my hand as we walked down to the beach.

"What made you change your mind?" He asked.

"A dream. I saw the three goddesses, they pretty much told me to go where I belong. And I dont belong here." I said, aware that I probably sounded ridiculas.

We reached the beach.

"I guess we're going to the Mer Kingdom?"

"Nope. Before, to get here, I asked the water to bring me home. So I was planning on asking the air to bring me to the Naiads. After all, didn't you say they were preparing a celebration."

"Ok, but it might not be the same settlement as before. They don't live in one city, they live in lots of small village-like settlements." He said, his voice full of knowledge.

"That's fine."

I closed my eyes, and felt the breeze on my face. Connected with air all around me, and then thought what I said before.

Air, and Ania, bring me to the Naiads please. It rang loud and clear in my mind.

I took Seb's hand again, and felt the air pick up around me and the sand clear from under my shoes. Seb's grip tightened on my hand and then I felt grass under my feet again.

Thank you, I thought.

I opened my eyes. I was surrounded by giant trees, many times bigger than normal. There was soft grass under my feet and a slight breeze blowing softly. The sun was peering through the trees, lighting up the women and men dressed in different shades of green, many with flowers in their hair. They all had dark or tanned skin. They were busy with something or other, getting on with their lives normally.

"What should we do now?" I asked Seb.

He walked up to a young teen who was selling something in small blue glass bottles, which she was calling Harmonica.

"What's harmonica?"I whispered to Seb as we approached her.

"Healing potion. I'll explain later. Excuse me?" He said "Can you point me to the leader of your settlement?" He asked the girl.

"He's over there. The biggest tree, you can't miss it." She pointed.

We knocked on the rounded door in the bass of the massive tree. It reminded me slightly of a Hobbit's house, only bigger and in a tree. The door was a bright blue and it had a small crystal handle.

"Hello?" A girl answered. She had blond hair, but so light that it looked white. She looked about my age, and her curious green eyes searched mine. She was pretty, and her skin was very pale, unlike most of the people here who had tanned skin

"We're here to see the leader of this settlement." Seb said.

"I'll just go and get my father for you." She said.

A few moments later, a middle aged man with dark hair and tanned skin came to the door.

"How can I help you?"

"My name is Seb, the mer king's son, and this is Jade, the vessel."

The man looked at us both in surprise, and then bowed. I didn't know what to do, should I bow back? I stood there confused.

"My name is Alec. Come in! It would be an honour." He said. "Sorry we aren't prepared, so I apologise for the state of my home."

It was so pretty. The inside of the tree had been carved into the walls and into the furniture, often with intricate floral patterns carved into them. There were different potted plants everywhere, some flowers and others looked like herbs. Red and green cushions were on the smooth wooden sofa. It smelt like spring, fresh flowers and grass.

"I think it's lovely." I said, and he smiled at me.

"My daughter Ivy does her best. Just like her mother. My wife is not here at the moment, she is at the market, but if you would stay for tea, she will be back soon."

"That would be lovely, thank you." I replied.

There was a knock on the door, frantic and desperate. Alex answered it and a young man with what looked like armour stood behind it. His eyes were full of fear.

"It's Aria, sir. She's here, in the clearing, and demands to see the vessel." He said.

Alex closed his eyes for a moment, thinking.

"Thank you, Westwood. We must prepare, and quickly. Prince, are you familiar with Naiad weaponry? Or old human weaponry?"

"I am good with a bow and a sword, sir."

"Ok, I shall fetch them. My daughter and I shall accompany you. My daughter is the best in this settlement with a sword, and third with a bow."

I felt useless like a damsel in distress as he gathered his weaponry. As I thought of what was happening, processing it, I began to get scared. This was the immortal almost goddess of fire. My enemy.

Ivy, Alec's daughter and Seb stood by my side, with Alec in front of me as we walked from the house to a clearing in the trees. I began to shake.

I felt a hand squeeze mine, and I looked up to see Seb smiling at me, trying to reassure me. I gave a small smile back.

A woman was standing in the clearing. She had jet black hair, with pale skin and was wearing a chainmail dress. She was very tall and skinny. As she turned to me, I saw her blood red eyes, full of anger and hate. There was no room for mercy or love there.

She strode up to me. I tried to keep my head high, but I couldn't stop shaking. Seb's grip on my hand grew tighter.

"So here she is." She muttered.

Hey :) I hope this is ok :)

It might take me longer to update now, because I've uploaded all of my pre written chapters, but hopefully since school has now finished, not too long.

Hoping everyone is having a great summer!

Till next time, Sophie :)