Chapter Three

I woke up on the cold hard floor. I pushed myself up into a sitting position. I turned around, and I saw the girl's body on the floor beside me.

Then it just floated away. It turned into ashes and seemed to dissolve into the air. The only evidence that she had ever been here was the dust in the shape of a body on the floor.

Everything came back now. What she had said. And the blue mist.

I heard mum come in, with the sound of the lock on the door turning.

"Honey are you ok? Why are you on the floor?"

Mum stepped right into the dust, scattering it into the air. I stared at her foot, still trying to process what had happened. It just didn't seem real, like a dream or a movie. Someone else's story.

"Jade?"

I blinked and stood up.

"I'm fine mum. I think I'm gonna go to bed."

I walked upstairs, trying not to drag my feet or trip. My eyes were open, but not seeing. What had just happened kept replaying in my mind, like the dream, apart from this was real. I wish it wasn't, but it was.

I was tempted to call Anna, but what could I say? She would think I was crazy, and I wouldn't blame her for it. I would think I was if it was me. But I wasn't mad, I knew I wasn't.

I needed air.

"Mum?" I shouted. "I'm going for a walk, just to clear my head."

"Ok. Take your key."

I took the key off the table and walked out of the door, after slipping on some trainers. I walked round the block, and then towards the beach, through the forest. The trees felt too close, closing in on me. I had never been claustrophobic, but I couldn't stand that. I could hardly breath. I ran, practically sprinting, to the beach.

I stopped as my feet hit sand. I wanted to go into the sea so badly, like a thirst that couldn't be quenched any other way. I kicked off my shoes and wriggled my toes in the sand.

"Come to me, Jade. You belong here. Come." The voice beckoned, the one from my dream. And then I was walking towards the sea, like my feet were no longer my own.

No.

I turned on my heel, picked up my shoes, and ran home.

That had been too close. I had almost gone in. I couldn't go in. God knows what might happen if I did. Confused and frightened, I ran all the way home.

Mum was waiting.

"Hey. Are you ok sweetie? You look a bit spooked."

"Yeah. I'm ok."

I walked in to the kitchen and got myself a glass of water because my throat felt rough again. After I'd drank the first one, I drank another and another.

I went for a shower. I switched the water on and undressed. I was about to go in, but I put my fingers in front of me. A bit of hot water hit them, and it burnt like it was boiling hot. I pulled it back quickly and examined it.

It had been a bright pink, but I could see it healing in front of my eyes, back to the normal skin colour. It stung for a moment, and then it wasn't sore at all. I held it out in front of me, as far away as possible.

What was happening to me?

I backed away from the shower, cautiously turning it off without touching the water, and ran upstairs.

I didn't want to go to school that morning. Every breath hurt, every step ached, but I dragged myself there. The school uniform hurt my very sensitive skin, like it was velcrow. I had to have my shower the coldest it would go, because anything else scorched and burnt my skin. I tried eating cereal, but it tasted disgusting. In the end, I ended up just drinking six cups of water, and bringing two bottles of water with me.

I ended up getting the bus to school, and not walking to school like normal. Anna was waiting at the gates, looking very annoyed at me. We had made a promise to tell eachother if we were ill, so she was probably really worried because I hadn't contacted her since saturday. I tried to slip in without her noticing, but unfortunately, she saw me.

"Jade!" She ran over to me. "You haven't called me, or texted me."

"I was ill." I muttered.

"And you couldn't call me? I was really worried!" She said.

"No, I couldn't call you! Can you just accept that?" I asked, my voice slightly louder than before. It was good that it was too early for many people to be around, otherwise I'd have a crowd.

"No! We made a promise."

And the worst thing? She was right. If this was her, I would be worried. I wouldn't accept no for an answer. I didn't know what to say to her now. Nothing seemed appropriate now.

I turned and ran to the beach.

The sun was coming through the clouds, and there was a sharp wind, but I wasn't cold. I had given up on being surprised, because there were to many things to be surprised about any more. If that made any sense at all. I could see and hear to waves breaking on the sandy shores, a sight that was as much a comfort to me as a reminder of my dreams, or nightmares.

I was woken up from my trail of thoughts when someone sat next to me.

"Hey. I'm sorry for shouting at you. I was overeacting." Anna said.

"It's okay. I overeacted too. There's just so much going on at the moment that I just don't understand, and it's just so confusing."

"Like what?"

"Oh, it er... doesn't matter." I said, frowning. I wanted to tell her, but she'd think I'd gone crazy.

"Come on. Let's get back to school. Otherwise Mr Halliwell will kill you for missing geography!" She smiled, and pulled me up.

She kept me laughing during the day. She kept me sane actually. I could always count on Anna to do that. My mind was kept off all my worries.

I came home with a smile on my face, and a spring in my step. For the first time since my first dream, I was happy.

I didn't know it yet, but that was the last time I would be happy for a while.

This is dedicated to Karla_F for her great comments and voting :D