Chapter Five

I didn't quite know what to do. 

I swam down, and hid behind a small wall so no one could see me, and just watched the city. Watched the people, with their tails pushing them through the water. It was so unreal, like a dream that had seemed so unbelievable that you refused to think of it. Passing me by, colours and shining silvers. My mind numbed by this dream state.That was, until something was shoved roughly against my head.

"State who you are and why you were attempting to go out of the Silver City, or I will shoot." A male voice said from behind me.

"No, you don't understand, I was coming in-" I said, amazed that I could speak underwater. I couldn't see who was behind me, only feel the sharp point of a weapon on the back of my head.

"Of course you were." He said, not believing me. " Turn around slowly, with your hands up where I can see them."

I did as he said, aware of the weapon of some kind digging into my head, and careful as I turned. I saw five people, all with different coloured tails.

It was a man, heavily armed with what looked like some type of gun, and he was like the others, and like me. Tailed. He was heavily built, looked about thirty, and had black hair and dark eyes. He looked a bit pissed off. Several others were behind him, also armed. One of the ones behind him stepped forward and stared straight at me .

"Sir?" He said. "Her eyes. They're violet. Sir, that means..." He said, his eyes wide in surprise.

His commander dropped the weapon he was holding, and it fell slowly in the water to the floor.

My eyes were violet? No, no they weren't. They were a chocolate brown colour. Was this guy blind?

The commander kneeled down, and lowered his head.

"I'm so sorry, my lady, I didn't know..." He said.

My lady?

"If you will, follow me." He said, and he swam away. I followed him, like he asked, and we ended up at the entrance to the silver palace.

I didn't know what to do or what to think. Everything was so confusing. Just go with it, I thought. See what they want. And anyway, this might all be a dream, in which case it didn't matter what happened.

He knocked on it twice, and the two massive rock doors, both with spirals and shells engraved onto them, opened. We swam through a corridor, or what seemed to be one. It was like a large and long cave, that had been painted white and sea shells had been hung on it. It was strange, unreal.

There was another door, and it lead into a massive blue painted room, with a silver throne and a table, with three statues behind them. Three beautiful young women, each dressed differenty.  A man with a crown sat on the throne, his tail solid beneath him. He looked middle aged but his bright blue eyes were full of memories, having seen and aged much more than the rest.  The man stood up as he saw us.

"Perseus? Who have you brought-" he said, and then stopped, noticing my eyes.

"Oh my. Acia's new vessel." He said, smiling. There was a silence.

Was I expected here? What did they expect of me? Acia's Vessel? So many questions surfaced in my mind.

He shouted back to a women, young and fair haired,  waiting by the door, asking her to bring food. She swam away to do his bidding obediantly.

"Welcome to the Silver City, or the Mer Kingdom." He smiled. "Walk with me. I expect you are confused- I will do my best to explain."

He swam up to his throne, and I swam behind him. He stopped by the three statues.

"These are statues of the three godesses, Acia, Avia and Ania, of water, earth and air. There is a legend, perhaps it will explain it a little better to you. 

Once, before all life on earth, there were four sisters. Acia, Avia, Ania and Aria. Acia of water, Avia of earth, Ania of air and Aria of fire. 

The first three sisters were kind, sweet and nice. Acia was caring, kind and bubbly, Avia was wise and clever, Ania was adventurous and brave. But Aria was jealous, spiteful and cold. 

When they all turned eighteen, Acia, Avia and Ania became full godesses, and they watched over earth. But Aria did not. The laws of nature did not allow her and her selfish ways to become as powerful as they were. 

The three sisters ruled over earth, and created the seas, the earth and the air. They created their own beings, the mer, the fae and the naiads. But Aria wanted revenge. 

She burned her way through the land, and caused havoc for the three sisters. They disowned her eventually, as they knew that all she was was evil. 

She became even more distraught. She destroyed everything she saw, and the earth became barren and inhabitable. The sisters chose three vessels, from their own races, and gave them their souls and their powers. Together, the three vessels fought and beat Aria. 

The sisters thought her dead. Acia and Avia coped, but Ania faded away, so guilt- stricken for her sister even though it wasn't her fault. Her sisters tried everything, but she withered away and faded. They never saw her again, and they never knew whether she even lives or not. And neither do we.  

Acia and Avia kept on passing on their souls, choosing a different vessel each 150 years, to continue to fight off Aria. After that time, the old vessel dies, and a new one must be chosen. 

And that's you. You are Acia's chosen vessel. You rule over the mer, and over the seas, with Acia's soul to guide you. 

You are our Queen."

Hey readers :)

This is dedicated to Karla_F again for her great comments! Thanks so much, you make my day!