14 | ACT I, SCENE XIV

Start from the beginning

"Are you done being so bloody dramatic, Valmont?" I hissed with gritted teeth as the procession followed us to the end of the corridor.

"Are you done declining my chivalry?" he asked politely in a clipped voice, yet it held the hurt in its harshness.

"You're not being chivalrous," I muttered under my breath as the din of the gods behind us began to grow louder.

I saw irritation lurk in his blazing eyes, and now his smile forced itself back to a ghost. Still, being so close and touching so much, I felt myself melt against his marbled chest.

As we neared the end of the corridor, he kept his gaze fixed ahead, steering away from my sharp words. For a moment, I even regretted saying that. He was, after all, trying.

"Make it long!" Helios shouted happily, drowning another tankard of ale.

"Make it last!" Llewellyn grinned as someone caught the bouquet, throwing it in the air and the flowers separated and flew down on all of us.

"Don't wear her out too much!" Eros cheered, and started to play with the bouquet, tossing and juggling the roses while making kissy faces. Beside me, Valmont looked like he was going to snap at any moment.

I lost it and let my power loose, and suddenly, all the roses burst into flames.

Everyone gasped for a moment, and fell silent. A minute later, the chants became even more loud, and now picked up the pace, faster, as we walked through the maze of rooms.

I saw Tristan lower his head as we neared the suite, coming closer and closer until our noses were touching, and I sucked in air to feed my starved lungs, passion spilling into my body like a hot flame.

Was he going to kiss me?

"Perhaps, Queen Regnant," he hissed softly, "if you could concentrate less on being a nuisance-"

"-TIME TO LICK THE COOKIE AND PUT THE BANANA IN THE JAR!" Eros bellowed exultantly, now bathing himself in showers of champagne as he waved his arms about like a maniac.

"Shut up!" the two of us snapped together.

We had reached the door of the suite now, a heavy pinewood door chased with platinum and obsidian. Angrily, he turned the knob and pushed the door open with white hands.

I gasped at the sight at the beautiful chamber, elegantly decorated in sheets of gold and black, with gilded pillows and furniture, but all that grandeur was lost in the moment.

I felt Tristan set me down, and I gripped him for a moment, regaining my balance.

Then he slammed the door shut as the noises of the annoying party died out.

• • • • •

TRISTAN

I rested my head for a moment against the cold wood, wishing for another glass of wine - anything to save me from being in the same room with the very person who got on every last one of my nerves.

My hand cascaded through my hair, and I watched Edwina observe me curiously, and her lips quirked, glossed with red. I knew I hated to admit it, but some part of me twistedly enjoyed her staring at me when she thought I wasn't looking.

The silence was deafening, both of us waiting for the other to say something.

I gulped, taking a deep breath and counted from one to ten in my mind.

"I didn't mean for you to become the recipient of my less than stellar mood that night," I said out loud, my voice clear as water in the silence. "You just found me at the wrong time, I was angry at... at a certain goddess. I'm truly sorry," I paused. "I didn't intend to hurt you, nor did I mean to touch you so inappropriately," I said softly, the harshness now draining out of my voice.