Track 10 - Let's Make The Most Of It

Songs mentioned in this chapter:
Boston - Rock & Roll Band

Billy Joel - The Entertainer

Stevie Wonder - All In Love Is Fair

Carole King - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time

It was a zoo backstage, people zipping back and forth to prepare for Wildfire's two final shows of their west coast tour. Halo and I helped with whatever we could, but mostly tried to stay out of everybody's way. The buzz in the air was contagious though as music rang through the hallway.

"Livin' on rock-n-roll music
Never worry 'bout the things we were missing
When we got up on the stage and got ready to play

Everybody'd listen."

"So did Lee ever apologize?" asked Halo as she bit into her hamburger.

I joined her at the table with a plate of my own, where I spread mayonnaise on the bun.

"Indirectly," I replied. "Harry said he apologized to him and everything's okay now."

"For the sake of the band, I'm sure."

"Yeah. But I'm fine with it. I don't wanna be the one to come between them. Plus it means the ban has been lifted."

Halo nodded as she chewed.

"Not like I was following it anyway," she chuckled.

"Halo? We haven't really talked about it...but what is your plan when they leave? We can't exactly follow them all around the world."

Halo paused for a moment, then swallowed and wiped her mouth with a napkin.

"Honestly?"

"Yeah."

"If Mitch were to ask me, I'd go. But he hasn't asked."

"Oh."

"Why?" Halo lifted her burger. "Has Harry asked you?"

I shook my head.

"It's just as well," she said. "I mean, what are we gonna do, be groupies forever? We have to make a living."

I picked at my own hamburger, my appetite suddenly gone.

"Sorry, Sky. I know you hate that word. I don't really consider you a groupie."

"I know," I replied softly. "And you're right."

"Excuse me," I suddenly heard a voice say behind me. A female voice, with a British accent.

I turned around to see a pretty girl who looked around my age. She wore a long burgundy coat with fur trim, and a pair of matching lace-up boots. Her shoulder-length hair was the kind of brown that I always wished mine would be, like it had been sun drenched and dipped in a vat of caramel, then painted in even strokes with wine.

"Can we help you?" asked Halo.

"I hope so. Can you tell me where I might find Harry Styles?"

"Maybe," Halo replied smugly. "Who are you?"

She didn't have to give her name. I knew exactly who she was.

"Just an old friend," she smiled.

Halo glared at me, waiting for a response or the go-ahead. But no words escaped my lips. I simply stared at her, my ass glued to my chair.

"Well old friend," Halo smirked, "Harry and the rest of the band just finished rehearsal and they went to the hotel to get ready for tonight."

"Oh, of course. Well...I'll just try to catch him after the show, then. Cheers!"