Track 03 - Pick A Memory

Songs mentioned in this chapter:
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
The Crystals - He's A Rebel

The Monkees - Daydream Believer
Buddy Holly - True Love Ways

Halo had a shift at the bookstore where she worked, but I was off so I was a glad to have the apartment to myself for one afternoon. I was in my room practicing a Joni Mitchell song on guitar when the doorbell rang. I opened the door just enough to peek through the crack, the chain still on it.

"Hi," he said hesitantly.

"Hi."

Harry dropped his head, then looked back up at me.

"Can I come in?"

"I guess."

I shut the door and removed the chain before reopening it and stepping back for Harry to enter. I noticed his eyes were no longer bloodshot, and his hair was wet like he'd just taken a shower. When I closed the door behind him, I got a big whiff. Yep, definitely a shower.

I followed him into the living room where he stopped next to the sofa but didn't sit down. Instead he turned to face me, his voice still low and gravely.

"I'm sorry."

I scratched a nonexistent itch on my arm. "Yeah, you mentioned that in your note. But what exactly are you sorry for?"

Harry dropped his shoulders and ran a hand through his hair. "Can I explain?"

I nodded, gesturing toward the couch. Harry sat down and I followed, though I made it a point to remain on the opposite end. I watched as he swallowed hard, wringing his hands nervously.

"Something happened last night."

I wanted to make some snide remark, but I didn't. I bit my tongue, deciding to hear him out.

"I um...after you'd left The Troubadour, someone came up to me. He claimed he was a manager and wanted to represent Wildfire. Even though we already have a manager, I agreed to have a chat with him. We sat at the bar and he bought me a drink. I was kinda feeling the effects of the show, you know? I was on this natural high, but my head was pounding, I suppose from the adrenaline. So this bloke offered me some pills. I swear, I thought they were just for a headache."

"You took strange pills from a strange man?"

Harry groaned. "I know, it sounds ludicrous. But I had a headache and I thought they were aspirin or something."

"What were they?"

"I dunno exactly. Probably some sort of hallucinogen like PCP. I started feeling dizzy and told the bloke I had to go. He said something about giving me a ride and for some reason I took it. He drove me here. I honestly can't even remember giving him the address, and I dunno how I remembered it."

"Do you even know who this guy was?" I asked.

Harry shrugged. "I think his name was French. For some reason that sticks in my mind."

"You mean he had a French name, or his actual name was French?"

"His name was French. His last name."

"But you'd never heard of him before?"

"No."

"That's...scary."

"I know."

"What if you hadn't made it here, Harry? What if something worse had happened?"

"It did."

I glared at him. "Huh?"

Harry looked down at his hands and twisted one of the rings on his finger.