Chapter 21

Geet was on her second cup of Japanese Sencha Green Tea.   She needed the soothing effects of this oceanic tasting tea today as her nerves were standing on edge.   It had been four days since the kid's performances and the meeting with the Khuranas.   Finally, all the annoying inquiries and analysis from Nausheen and Sarah had stopped, giving Geet a required reprieve.

However, today was the day she had been dreading since the weekend.   On this Wednesday, Geet was presenting in front of the Board of Directors for SRK Conglomerates.   Her presentation covered the themes of stress management techniques and establishing a balance between professional and personal lives.   The latter was the new topic that her group of psychologists was introducing and SRK was to play the guinea pig.

Geet's nerves were frayed because she wasn't sure if this group of highly ambitious executives were the right subjects to showcase the new material.   If Maan Khurana was the epitome and representative of SRK Conglomerates, then the Board of Directors were possibly just as driven and arrogant as he was.   This assumption did not sit well with Geet's sensibilities.

Sarah and Laura had convinced her yesterday that this was the right plan of action when they approached other company's executives.   Since Geet was the team leader who came up with the brilliant concept - now egregious in her mind - she had to be the first one to implement it.   Geet had reluctantly agreed and saw their point of view.   Regardless of her concurrence, it did not mean she enjoyed it!

Plus, she would be facing 'the ogre' on his turf and he was definitely unpredictable.   He might be in control but these two hours were Geet's to rule with her expertise and understanding of the human psyche.   No way would she give him the upper hand and was determined to not let him bother her in any way.   She was there to do a job and not get into a verbal skirmish with him.

The kids had been sent off to school with Nausheen and she was dressed except for her feet that were still relaxing in her large panda faced furry slippers.   At least they matched her outfit somewhat.   Geet had chosen a sleeveless, slightly over the knee, black dress that cinched her at the waist with its side ruching and a thin metal belt.   The same metal reflected at the neckline with a small v-neck cut out.

She had straightened her hair and left it free flowing on her left side.   The war paint was applied flawlessly to protect her composure from any recriminatory remarks.   She had decided on minimal accessories except for the cushion stud diamond earrings and her DKNY two-tone stainless steel watch.   She would gain a few more inches in height when her feet were clad in the black lace Jimmy Choo's - the one splurge a year that she had allowed herself two years ago.

Two years ago...   Not something that Geet wanted to dwell on this morning.   She hated to think about those awful events that had transpired.   It had changed the course of her life, but now things were better.   Geet took a deep breath and was lost in her thoughts, when someone nearby cleared her throat.

Geet was startled out of her contemplations and looked up to find Nausheen evaluating Geet carefully.   Geet turned her back and started rinsing her tea cup while babbling:   "Hi Amma!   Did you just get back?   I did not hear you.   What are your plans for today?   I will be home late.   I am sorry that that I won't be able to pick up the kids.   Thank you Amma-"