Chapter 9

Two weeks flew by in record time for Geet.   During that time, she and her team had finished the remaining meetings with the representatives of other companies and were busy creating presentations and preparing essential materials for the numerous seminars.   Each presentation needed to be relevant and specific as the team considered the individual company needs, their concerns, employee demographics, relevant health insurance data and other well-being aspects.   

Geet had ensured that every team member including herself was given the task of covering at least two mental health topics of interest structured per each company's requirements.   This way the HR staff had a choice regarding which presentation out of the two they would like the team to pursue in the group symposium.   The end goal was to encourage employees to feel secure enough so that they would sign up for any of the group or individual sessions with hospital counselors.   Dr. Trevor had noticed Geet and her colleagues' dedication to the new initiative and had provided administrative staff to help the team further in their endeavours.

Kathy Seville had a reputation for being adept and proficient around the hospital.   She was a vibrant and sweet woman in her late fifties who knew the ins and outs of the hospital system and how to get things done.   She was always polite and helpful; however, if you were to get on the wrong side of her, there were definite repercussions.   Kathy was part of the floating secretarial pool and had worked for many departments with psychiatry always being one of her faves.   She enjoyed working with these youngsters who seemed to always provide some form of amusing entertainment and treated her like a colleague rather than the hired help.   

Today, Kathy was dressed in black pants and a floral navy blue and red tunic with her ever comfortable studded flat shoes.   Her brunette longish pixie cut mixed in with a few grays and her demure make up always exuded professionalism.   She was well known for her ever changing and outfit matching chains that were attached to her eye glasses.   Somehow in a flurry of activities, these glasses always found themselves in different positions either hanging around her neck, on top of her head or on the bridge of her nose.   She was busy ensuring that the team's schedules were in good order.   Her other responsibilities included preparing the emails that were to be sent to the HR representatives enclosing the prepared material for the employees to peruse and review before the symposiums.

Kathy was in the process of completing one of these emails and wanted to finish it before any distractions stopped her mid-task, when her office line buzzed.   Slightly irritated as her wish was unfulfilled, she answered the phone.

Kathy:   "Hello, Surrey Memorial Hospital.   How may I help you?"

Surprised caller:   "Good morning, have I reached Dr. Raichand's office in the psychiatric department, by any chance?"

A little distracted, Kathy continued:   "Yes, you have reached Dr. Raichand's office, how may I help you?"

Caller:   "I was wondering if I may speak to her.   Please tell Dr. Raichand that it is Nikhil Sawant from SRK Conglomerate calling.   I just need a few minutes of her time."

Kathy in attention inquired:   "Well Mr. Sawant, Dr. Raichand has a meeting in about 30 minutes but currently she is in her office.   If your conversation is going to take less than 20 minutes, I will check to see if Dr. Raichand is free."