Chapter 2

I decide that clarifying how Skaikru is to be treated among the twelve clans is essential. If we are going to fight together, risks of conflict between ourselves need to be eliminated. Today I will call a meeting and speak among the twelve ambassadors from each clan. Waging war against Skaikru will be waging war against me.

"Titus. Gather the ambassadors. I'll be waiting in the meeting room," I say forcefully.

"Yes, Heda."

"Get Clarke as well."

Titus nods and walks out the door.

I quickly put on my armor and war paint. It gives me more confidence when I speak amongst my people. I put on my mask that hides my emotions from the rest of the clans, from everyone, and make my way to the meeting room. I hope that these Skaikru are truly worth trusting.

"Heda, they have all arrived."

I nod, letting Titus know that it is okay to let everyone in. I'm sitting at the head of the table with seats for the rest of the ambassadors along the sides. Clarke will be sitting next to me, as she will be advocating for her people and essentially the reason for this meeting.

Clarke gives me a slight nod that means thank you and stands beside me. I nod, signaling for everyone to sit as I remain standing.

"I have gathered you all here today to speak about the inevitable war that will be coming any day now. We must fight as one people to win this war. The mountain men have taken enough from us as it is. Our people have been captured for years without return. According to Skaikru, there are still people in the mountain, our people, that can be saved. Our main goal will be to get our people back, but anyone that stands in the way will be taken out. Skaikru will be fighting alongside us in this battle, an attack against them will be a direct attack against me. Jus drein jus daun!"

A few of the ambassadors hesitate after my last few words. Clarke has already received a few negative looks from the others, but she still stands confidently. The ambassadors don't need to trust them, but they do need to trust that I'm making the best decision for our people. I hope.

The ambassadors all say with determined voices, "jus drein jus daun!"

"Dismissed."

All of the ambassadors exit, leaving just me and Clarke. "Thank you, for what you did today. You know, I can see behind that war paint and tough exterior," Clarke says with a smirk on her face.

"You should not be thanking me. I did what was best for my people," I say in a shaky voice, as she has caught me a bit off guard. I put my emotionless mask back on.

She stares into my eyes intensely, as if she can see straight into my soul. She smirks and then exits the room. My heart is racing at an irregular speed. What just happened? Why am I so nervous? Okay, back to it. War. It's coming and will be here soon. We will need to prepare, quickly. There is no time to waste.