“Maybe you can win her over in time.” Raoul patted his friend’s shoulder encouragingly. “Why would she continue to seek a life with a madman in the dark, always running and hiding, when she could live with you like a queen?”

“Time will have to answer that, I suppose…I wonder where Alana is now. I really must speak to her before long.”

The men’s noise kept Damien and Raoul from hearing the footsteps hurrying down the hallway, and from seeing a small figure in white flash past the open door.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alana couldn’t believe her luck. She’d made it all the way upstairs without being caught. A few servants had seen her, shooting her bewildered, sometimes disapproving glances, and one serving woman had inquired as to her state, but Alana had just walked right on by her without explaining anything. She didn’t have the time.

She rushed down the hall, found Cerise’s room, and knocked on the door, hoping and praying that no one she knew would see her. There was no answer, so she knocked again. Mere seconds crawled by. Finally, the door slowly opened, and Alana pushed her way through.

“What? Alana?” From the looks of it Cerise had just gotten out of bed. She blinked at her cousin in confusion and then her eyes grew wide with alarm as she took in Alana’s bedraggled appearance, her torn nightgown, and the cuts on her feet. “What‘s going on?”

“You have to help me,” Alana said breathlessly, quickly closing the bedroom door and moving far enough away from it so she could speak freely. “Erik’s been hurt.” She could see questions in Cerise’s eyes, but she didn’t give her cousin time to speak. “He’s been hurt, very badly. I found him, and I helped him as best I could, but it’s not enough. I’ve got him in a hunting shed down in the woods by the river, and I need some food and water and bandages and things to take to him! We have to hurry! I don’t know if he can make it…”

Cerise held up a hand. “Wait…what? How did Erik get hurt, and how did you two get all the way to the woods? I saw where they were when we rode in…that’s a bit of a walk, and it’s barely past dawn. What on earth were you doing?” She raised a suspicious eyebrow.

“I’ll tell you when we’re on the way!” Alana said, frustrated. There wasn’t time for explaining anything! Every minute that passed could put Erik’s life more in danger as he suffered from his wounds. She didn’t know if she had treated them well enough to save his life. “I don’t think I can carry everything we need by myself, so I need you to help me. Will you?”

Cerise put her hands on her hips. “If you’ll tell me what’s going on!” Her voice rose. “This sounds serious!”

“It is!” Alana stamped her foot impatiently. “All I have time to say now is that Erik can’t come back to the chateau. There are people here who want him dead, and they think they’ve killed him. But I found him, he’s alive, and he needs our help. Now, can you go and find the kitchen and get some food we can carry with us? And something to drink. And bandages! I need to run to my room and change out of this gown so I won’t be so suspicious-looking. Can we meet back here as soon as possible?”

Cerise gave her a perplexed, slightly irritated look, but nodded. “Yes, of course. As long as you give me a full explanation later.” She went to the armoire in the room and quickly seized something to wear.

“I will,” Alana promised. She helped her cousin button up her dress in the back, and pulled her quickly by the hand to the door as Cerise tried to fix her hair. “Now go! Don’t tell anyone about what’s really going on here. Whatever you do, don’t mention his name!”

“All right!” Cerise let go of her hand and went back to grab a small bag to carry things with before they both hurried out into the hall and Alana disappeared into her room.