chapter 10: sprinkle

Start from the beginning

Inaya on the other hand felt horrible that she had worried her mother without even having second thoughts about it . Of course , Mariam was aware of her nightmares . But over the course of time , things had started to fall pretty much into place and probably Mariam would have developed the feeling that Inaya was slowly starting to move forward in life .

She felt horrible to destroy that hope her mother may have had .

"Inaya ? Qalbi are you okay ?"

Inaya snapped out of her daze and tried her best to sound cheerful .

"Ummi , it's late now . I'm being a baby really ." Inaya chuckled , loud enough to convince Mariam . While still keeping an eye on the two on the bed .

"But , you just - "

"Ummi , I am being a baby . Sorry , I just confused a bad dream ." Inaya laughed again , staring at the dark sky .

"Qalbi , but you - "

"Ummi , I love you . So so so so much . Don't worry . I am fit and fine ." Inaya chuckled , feeling her sobs clog her throat .

"I love you too my sweetheart . But are you sure you're fine ? Just a moment ago - "

"Jeez , seriously , Ummi ! You're being overprotective again ." Inaya mocked her , hoping she wouldn't question her again .

"Girl , you are always saying that ." Mariam laughed along with Inaya .

"Now , ummi , go to bed . I'll talk to soon okay ? I love you . Assalaamualaikum ." Inaya chirped , biting down on her lip .

"Walaikumussalaaam my angel . Sleep well baby . I'm praying for you ." Mariam replied , still very concerned for Mariam .

"I'm seriously alright . You just go to sleep ." Inaya insisted .

"Okay okay . Kids these days really !"

Inaya chuckled over Mariam's ranting ."Assalaamualaikum Ummi ."

"Walaikumusslaaam ."

Inaya cut the call and crossed her arms over her chest , gaping at the unlikely large moon , shining down over the road of emptiness . Mariam had been pretty quick in disconnecting the call and that eased Inaya a bit .

"Will I ever be able to sleep properly ?"