Part Two: 2

Hope first heard the giggle as a hand poked her, then peals laughter echoed hollowly in the chilling morning air as she roused, squinting in the bright light.

It was a mad house when she finally sat. Hope began to cry as realization dawned. If this was dying, she was staring hell in the eye. They were all laughing. Looking up she could see students some faces she’d know, some that she could barely place, some she’d swore she’d never seen, but they were laughing at her, gawking, jeering and they had found her passed out in the hallway that morning as students came to class. Hope was still barefooted, in her pajamas.

“your room not comfy enough for you, umbrella girl?” she knew that voice it was Pato, the joker. Her classmates too! Another wave of laughter stole through the crowds, some rolled over laughing.

They surrounded her, amused eyes, some tearing up—leaning for support as they laughed hard—too many eyes, the shame!

There was no place to run to, no place to hide. Could she actually run from here all the way back to the hostel like this? God! She cried silently, hugging herself. If she gets out of this she would pack her bags and leave. Run far away. No more High School Education. The shame!

“did your wing got clipped by prayers?” one of those girls that prance about, inviting students for prayers with their eyes aloof like they were better than everyone else said, staring at her with her nose scrunched in self-righteous disgust. “I told you all these demon possessed students are in for some nasty exorcism didn’t I?” she asked another girl, who nodded, staring awed as the self-proclaimed exorcist.

“where you a late flyer?” Pato said, and everyone laughed.

Soon, crumpled pages were flying at her. They were calling her names, jeering, as she drowned in paper, the din of their shouts and her overflowing shame. “witch!” “Umbrella Witch.” “Akata Witch!” “Obanje!” “Mamiwater!”

“guess she flew with that umbrella huh?” someone said.

“I heard her scream when holyghost fire barbed her.” Another shouted, and grinned with satisfaction as they all laughed again.

“what in God’s name is this?” the high pitch voice came along. Time froze. Eyes were as wide as cue balls. Deafening silence ensued.

Hope felt that tiny flimsy skein of optimism. Is this the salvation she was waiting for?

*****

Madam Rosalind, hurried to the scene, the pound of her shoe clapping on the tiles seemed like the only sound for miles. Every one seem frozen, then slowly, they began turning as if to confirm. As if sense kicked in, they began running, scampering about. Madam Rosalind knew they had been up to no good. You rarely see these youngsters gathered for something of value, put in a few vice, a popular face, or some unfortunate kids to get kicked around, they’d gather round like moths to a fire.

When she got to the girl, curled in fetal position on the paper strewn floor in pajamas; somnambulism was the thing that came to mind. Madam Rosalind shot them all a hard stared, they flinched, many more ran away.

The girl was looking at her, tears stained her face. She was panting, her lips trembled. Even Hope flinched from her.

“Leave here all of you right now. I can’t stand to see your faces!”  Hell went loose with all the remaining minions disappearing in all direction.

“it’s alright.” She said, as mildly as her voice could allow. Looking at the girl.

Hope looked up at her. She cried again. “it’s alright.” Mrs. Rosalind said, her fat hands firm on her shoulder, shaking her. “stand up, let’s go to my office.” She said.