Part One: 13

What do you think about the new cover?
*****

“you were the lake yesterday?”

It was morning, class was yet to start and the first thing Obi would do, walking right in still holding his bag was asking her a question.

Hope stared at the boy, drinking his looks all in, his neat school uniform that wouldn’t be that neat before lunch time, the dried in ink stain on his top, the stitches just below his breast pocket, lastly, his shoe, a black polished shoe she was quite certain will be all dusty at the end of the day. Why do you even try? She wanted to ask. But she felt a joke coming on, lowering her voice she said, “and you have a problem with that?”

Obi rolled his eyes, “that’s a question!”

“which demands an answer.”

“but I asked first.”

“Ladies first. So answer me. How is that your business what I do with my spare time?”

“you still mad about the chapel incident, Jeez!” he said, walking away.

“and you still owe me.” Hope called after him.

“whatever.” He muttered.

Hope looked back moments later to see Peter and Obi head bent over his desk, talking. Whatever mischief they were up to, Hope didn’t care.

“I know, I know, there are mermaids there and it’s totally unsafe.” Hope told Obi, the next time he broached the topic over lunch.

“actually there is no such thing as mer_” Matthew ate the rest of his words, pretending to not see the look on Obi’s face.

“actually, I don’t believe that.” Obi said, there was nervous tick in his cheek, a cunning to his looks. “I just saw you yesterday… forget it.” He said.

His eyes suddenly went wide, he picked the remaining spring roll and the bottle of Fanta. “see you later.” he hastily said and was out. Peter followed.

“Hey.” A different voice came from behind.

“uh oh.” Matthew muttered.

Hope turned back to see that it was Ada, “been a while since music class.” Hope smiled.

“Say no more.” Ada waved dismissively. “Hey, Matthew.”

“Hello.” Matthew replied, stuttering actually. What’s up with them?

“Just passing by.” Ada said smiling one long wide innocent smile at Hope, then gave Matthew a gentle tap on the head. Two tentative tap tap like she was choosing an apple from the box. “see you some other time.”

“bye.” Hope reluctantly replied and resumed her meal.

Matthew sighed.

“what was that all about?”

Matthew stared glumly, acting like he had suddenly gone deaf.