Kill The Lights {19}

Start from the beginning

                “Just for a night or two. To let Shane calm down,” he said. “Don’t you want Shane to calm down so we can go back to hanging out already?”

                “Fine,” I said without looking at him. Shane had been mad at me before and stopped talking to me for a few days. He got angry, and I knew that. But I always hated it.

                “It’ll blow over,” Mitch assured me.

                “I know it will,” I said, trying to force a smile for Mitch’s sake. Shane had a habit of overreacting. But he always got over things fast. The longest he had ever stayed mad at me for was two weeks when we were eight.

                We walked in comfortable silence until we reached a quiet spot near the lake. There was a rope tied securely around a higher up tree branch that we could swing off of into the water.

                We set our stuff up on the rocks. Mitch pulled out speakers and hooked his phone up, playing music as we tugged our tank tops off.

                “You reside in grand disguises just to get, get away from it all. Falsify the life you’re hiding just to get, get away from it all!” the music blared.

                “Let’s go. Unless you’re too much of a pussy,” Mitch said, climbing up and gripping the rope.

                “Not at all. Ladies first,” I said, gesturing at him to swing.

                “You’re hilarious,” he said, tightening his hold on the rope and jumping off the rocks. I watched as he soared out over the lake and released the rope. His arms and legs flailed slightly, and then he hit the water and disappeared under it.

                He reappeared a few seconds later, spitting out lake water. He swam out of my way and motioned at me to join him.

                I reached out, gripping the rope. I took a deep breath before kicking off the rocks and sailing forward. I willed myself to released the rope and flailed as the water rushed up towards me.

                I exploded into the lake, sinking towards the bottom. I waved my arms and legs rapidly until I was swimming up and breaking the surface of the lake.

                I gasped for breath and pushed my hair out of my eyes. Mitch swam over to me with a grin on his face.

                “I love doing that,” he said.

                “You would,” I grumbled, spitting out water and trying to catch my breath. The rush of it was fun, though.

                We swam out of the lake together and spent the next hour flinging ourselves off the rocks into the water, trying to do flips and tricks as we jumped or swung off the rocks.

                Finally, as the splash sent by Mitch hitting the water landed in my face, we calmed down. Mitch swam over to me and kissed me as we treaded water together.

                “This beats sitting at home,” he said.

                We swam over into more shallow water so we could stand. The water came up to my chest, but my feet were planted on the rocks in the water.

                “This was definitely fun,” I said, wrapping my arms around his waist and pulling him close to me.

                “It could be more fun,” he said, a mischievous grin coming to his face.