~Chapter Fourteen~

Start from the beginning

"It doesn't matter why we made that pledge, just that we did, and you broke it."

"This has been interesting and all, but let's start the fun. I do believe this was meant to be a battle, after all." Jacky said with an exaggerated fake yawn.

"Agreed. Let's get this bloodshed over with." Salem agreed, and Aaron nodded hesitantly. Minty's eyes hadn't left his, and she had been quivering with barely-suppressed rage after the shock had worn off. She was more than ready for the fight to begin.

"We have a plan, right?" Aisho whispered to Gabriel. He gestured to Jesse. "She's in charge here, since she's been through stuff like this and none of us trust Soren."

"Thanks for putting me on the spot." The black-haired girl muttered as all the others looked at her. "I wasn't expecting anything like those stone things. We should split into groups of, I dunno, four or something, and take on the stone monsters one by one. Make sure that you protect each other; we really can't afford to lose any more lives. I don't know what they're planning to do, but it probably involves killing us all. Don't hesitate to completely destroy the stone things, but we should try to restrain Jacky and Salem."

"I want to fight the boy myself. He needs to pay for betraying us." Minty hissed. Myst lifted her head to look at him again. "It's Aaron, isn't it? The 'narrator'?"

"Yeah. She deserves to get her own revenge." Megan replied. "Minty, I'll go with you, and back you up if you need."

"Me too." Maya added. Minty nodded stiffly. "Alright. Thanks."

Meanwhile, Salem muttered extra instructions to Aaron. "Send the dullions in. Make sure they won't hesitate to kill. If we do this right, we shouldn't have any reason to worry."

With that, the dullions started stomping towards the Authors and their companions. The group readied their weapons and charged out to meet them.

The battle had begun.

(no, this isn't the end of the chapter. Or even the segment)

(I'm just

p r o l o n g i n g

t h e

s u s p e n s e

(I think that's enough)

(well, maybe just one more

m o m e n t)

(OK, here's what happens:

Minty made a beeline for Aaron, who seemed to be waiting for her. Her diamond axe was already in her hand, but Aaron wasn't holding his staff like a weapon.

"Wait, please wait. We can talk about this. I know what I did, and I know it seems bad, but we don't have to-"

"No! I'm not letting you get out of this! You will PAY for what you've done, I swear it!" Minty spat. Aaron held up his hands submissively. "Minty, I don't want to fight you."

"IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT! If you didn't want a fight, you wouldn't have BETRAYED US!" the aqua-haired girl snarled.

"You act like I didn't have my reasons! I was trying to protect the worlds! I knew that you were all bound to fail, so I would have to gain the powers and rescue the worlds on my own! That's why I joined Jacky and Salem! If I hadn't, they would've killed me and no one would've been left to claim the powers." Aaron cried desperately. He meant what he said with all his heart; he did not want to have to hurt her, and he was already having doubts about this whole thing.