Chapter Twenty-One: My Hobo Back Pack (and Hobo life)

I’m so tired today

I could sleep forever

or at least for a month

like a vampire

I took the early bus to school today and had to wait ouside in the cold for like half an hour when I got there, before the school officially opened. I don’t know why I thought the school is always open. Doesn’t the janitor come in extra early or something? Apparently not.

Anyway, I was dressed up warm in layers and it wasn't too cold, even though it was snowing, so I was fine. I always go prepared for any weather when I leave home. And my backpack has everything:

-snacks (if available to pack)

-change of socks

-mascara - almost dried out :( 

-brush

-water bottle

-scarf, toque, mitts

-cell phone (which got cut off but text still works)

-earphones, pens, highlighters

-headache medication

-hand sanitizer

-black nail polish

-one notebook, of my writing not school work (I keep my textbooks in my locker)

-and sometimes Viros (my laptop) & her power cord

Today I added:

-shampoo/conditioner

-change of clothes

-soap

-small towel

-the last of the crackers with some peanut butter

I feel like a hobo, with all my belongings in my backpack. It was heavy on my back today because I brought viros with me, as though I was ‘leaving home’ and not intending to go back. And maybe I won’t. I haven’t gone home yet because I’m at the library right now. So anyway, I came to school super early this morning so I could shower in the changerooms. It was SO nice to have a hot shower. I could write a poem about how nice it was, if I had the energy right now.

It was a good thing I came early because there was some kind of group or club meeting going on in the gym and I finished my shower just in time, then snuck out. I think they’re planning decorations for the spring formal, which is just around the corner. I’m definitely not going, obviously. No dress, no shoes, no hairspray and no home (and not to mention my mascara looks like it's officially dried out now).

I’m thinking of calling my auntie today. Not to tell her my mom’s been gone but just to say hi, because she usually gives me some money on my birthday and I haven’t heard from her yet and my birthday already passed. I'm sure I sound so rude right now just wanting to call her because I hope she’ll give me money for my birthday, but I'm not trying to be. I'm hungry, which is all I can think about these days.

I went to the thrift store to apply for a job and they gave me this application, that I still have in my back pack, and I’m not sure how I’m going to fill it out. Address, social insurance number, phone number. I don’t technically have a phone number anymore because my cell phone’s not working (my mom didn’t pay the bill) and we don’t have a land line at home. I don’t know my social insurance number and I don’t want to put my current address down either. I guess I can lie about that one. I’ll figure it out later. I feel way too tired to get a job blahhh. Maybe it's just because I got up too early and didn’t sleep much last night, or maybe its because I haven’t eaten much lately, but I've been feeling light-headed and unmotivated, especially to get a job.

Everyone is talking about the spring formal. It's quite annoying.

I’m not sure when the library closes but I’m staying here until it does, then I’m going to sit on a bus and ride it round and round, not getting off at any stop, until it's done running for the night or until I’m asked to get off. I don’t want to go home today. I don’t ever want to go back there… :(