SIXTEEN ━ ❝the big, green monster❞

Start from the beginning

Like, yeah, maybe sneaking food to her uncle would be considered brave. Maybe keeping a secret from her mother (her mother!!!), possibly the scariest woman on earth, was brave. And, if you asked Dumbledore, standing up against her friends, putting her foot down and saying she wouldn't be treated as poorly as they treated her was brave. But right then, she didn't feel brave.

She didn't feel like a lot of things.

Because she didn't have the bravery to tell off Angelina. She didn't. Even though Angelina had torn her heart out of her chest and held it out the girl with a wicked smile, she still couldn't bring herself to hurt the girl. And it happened Tuesday night after they arrived back at school.

Calypso and Birdie were in the courtyard when it was around eight, dinner had finished back thirty minutes ago and the two were playing wizard chess no matter how much the Black girl despised it. "I just don't get how you're so good at this," Calypso gave a backhand compliment to her friend.

"My dad and I play it a lot. He taught me everything I knew," Birdie said, commanding a piece to move which beheaded one of Calypso's own, "Your turn."

"Fuck you, Ramona," Calypso said before commanding her own piece to move. It did nothing to hinder Birdie.

But the Bishop girl gasped and placed her hand on her heart in mock heart. "How dare you use that name in front of me! It is 'fuck you, Birdie'!"

She rolled her eyes, "Sorry. Fuck you, Birdie."

"Thank you. And fuck you too, Callie," Birdie snickered at the burning glare Calypso gave her at the nickname.

"I will literally track down my uncle and make him murder you," Calypso threatened even though it wasn't true. Like Sirius would murder her, a teenager with no affiliation to Peter Pettigrew, the only man he had an interest in murdering. Especially now, probably.

Birdie snorted, "No you won't. You only have, like, two friends now and if you kill me then you'll be left with Lee."

"You're right, sorry. As much as I love Lee, he's not exactly best friend material to me," Calypso said, almost ashamed at herself for uttering those words. They were hurtful and Lee, if he heard, would probably cry. At least, he'd be hurt.

Because Calypso didn't think he was a best friend to anyone. While he probably had one (one of the Weasley twins most likely) it probably wasn't likely that it was reciprocated. Lee hung around people who favored others before him and Calypso didn't know what that was like, not really. Even when she was friends with Angelina and Cho and it was obvious that Birdie was her best friend, she didn't leave them out. And Cho and Angelina were better friends but Birdie was never hurt by it and that could be the case for Lee. But there was also the difference that Calypso's best friend reciprocated that while Lee didn't have that person. At least, she didn't think so. And so, she was really regretting what she said because that was way too hurtful and she didn't want to hurt anyone. It was becoming quite the problem actually.

Birdie threw her head back in laughter though, "True. But I don't know, you were getting kinda close to Sloane on the train ride over here. What's she like, by the way."

Calypso shrugged, "Nice. I mean, she's a bit awkward and probably really quiet, but she's nice. And really surprised I wasn't prefect."