Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I wonder how Bassy is doing," Grell said when the silence and the darkness of night were too much for him. I turned to him. His yellow-green eyes glowed in the darkness, giving it away that he was indeed a reaper. That's if his chain saw wasn't out and ready to reap souls.

I bowed my head. When Grell talks about Sebastian, it makes me think of Ciel. Then it leads to sleepless nights and nightmares. It wasn't ideal but since the news of his death, I've hardly had sleep. I'd never let Lizzie know--she'd worry about me even more. Grell doesn't seem to understand much. All that seems to be in his mind is Sebastian and the color red.

"I don't know, Grell," I said, trying to keep my voice from shaking. I was thinking about Ciel again. I touched my shoulder where Sebastian's demon mark was. "I just don't know. Perhaps he is onto his next victim."

Grell stopped. Maybe he was finally getting it. Maybe he was starting to figure out that he wasn't the only one that was under contract.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what, Grell?" I asked, getting annoyed.

"We are not alone," he said as he looked around.

I looked to the tops of the buildings. On one that was facing near the alleyway, was a creature. I wasn't sure if it was human. I was thinking a reaper until I looked to Grell, who looked as confused as I was.

"That isn't a reaper, is it?"

Grell looked at me with disgust. "No, reapers never look as ugly as that."

I looked back up to it. "No, it's a demon. A soul-sucking demon."

Grell looked at me with shock. "How would you ever know that? I've seen the book you read. It tells nothing of what their forms look like."

I shrugged. "I don't know. Something inside me told me."

Grell cocked an eyebrow. "I thought I had problems."

"Grell," I whispered, "get your reaper's sythe ready."

"You honestly think it will work on a demon like that?"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Anything is better than nothing. I don't exactly give up my soul to the wrong demon."

"What?"

The demon we were staring at snarled. It saw us. It jumped down and crouched low to the ground. His eyes glowed a bright fushia, but a closer look revealed a hint of blood-color luster to them. It was a mad demon and the chances of survival were slimming down the more we waited.

The demon lunged forward as I staggered back. I kicked him off me before it could touch me. It hit the brick building, leaving a spiderweb crack and a large dent. I spun around the demon and found a rock lying on the edge of the alleyway. As it lunged toward me again, I threw it at it's head, trying to at least slow it down so Grell could wound it with his reaper's sythe.

"Grell," I called as the creature seemed more interested in me than wuth the grim reaper that was supposed to be protecting me. "Oh Grell, are you ready to complete a part of your contract?"

"What? And fight that ugly thing?"

"Yes, Grell," I said as I rolled against the other brick wall to narrowly avoid a claw to the face. "Will assigned you to me to protect me. Now, help!"

"Oh, fine," he said as he started his reaper's sythe and started waving it around the demon to catch his attention. When he caught it, he smiled. "Aren't you one for fighting? I prefer love instead of war myself."

I looked at Grell with a confused look on my face. He was a grim reaper and he just said he was more of a lover than a fighter? Hello, he was a grim reaper. He loves death. He should love the fatalies of war. It's how he gets his kicks.

"After all, it was my love for the color red that drew me to Madame Red."

Well, that made sense. Her hair was red and she wore the color in every bit of her wardrobe.

"I was also half of Jack the Ripper," he said as he waved the sythe is struck the demon's arm, reaching it's shoulder.

I stood there in shock. Was he courting the demon or trying to kill it? Wait, did he just confess to being Jack the Ripper?

"Grell, kill the demon already!" I cried. I wanted to find out if he really was Jack the Ripper. If he was, why didn't Will demote him?

"Yes, Selena," Grell cried to me. He turned to the demon he had pinned against the brick wall. "I'm sorry; as much as I want to tell you more, I've gotten orders to kill you." He stuck the reaper's sythe deep in the demon's chest and pulled it out while it was running. The demon fell to the ground and quickly turned to ash.

I stepped toward Grell. I've never seen a demon turn to ash like that. I looked at Grell.

"Demons and reapers, when they veer from the job they're supposed to do, go mad and eventually, when their life comes to an end, they turn to ash and no one knows they existed."

"What about the ones that don't veer away?" I asked him. I knew I looked like hell. My cloack and dress were shredded and my hair style was falling apart. Not to mention the dirt that covered my face.

I had already checked to make sure my demon's mark wasn't showing.

"They die in the forms they were killed in."

I felt my breath hitch. I wondered if that's what happened to Claude when I found out from Grell he died. I wondered if Sebastian was alive. I mean, I never heard news about if he was alive or not. So, is Sebastian alive?