Chapter Sixteen

I gasped at the thought of Alois killing Ciel. I tried not to make noise when I slammed against the wall in shock. I covered my mouth like they would hear me breathing. Tears stung my eyes. I couldn't imagine my life without Ciel in the picture. I don't think Lizzie could handle it. She nearly went nuts when we didn't hear from Ciel for a while.

It was when London was burning to the ground. I hoped Ciel didn't hear about it. It seems, after prying Sebastian to tell me, that they were in the middle of it. Still, one question wasn't answered. We were allowed to move back into London, our house wasn't destroyed. When I went to see if Ciel was alright, he wasn't there. His servants hadn't seen him since London's fire. It was nearly a month before I would hear from Ciel again. I wondered what happened, and when I asked Sebastian, he went around the answer. So, what the hell happened to Ciel?

I looked to the cracked door, trying to hear what Ciel and Alois was saying. Ciel wouldn't accept that, would he? I mean, he knows I am under contract with Sebastian. But would he fight for me even if he is betrothed to Lizzie?

"You're wrong, Ciel," Alois said. He circled Ciel, never lowering what object he decided to hold. "You shouldn't even care about Selena. You're engaged to her sister- her twin sister. Ciel, you don't even have to know Selena exists."

Ciel lowered his object. "I know, but I do anyway. Selena is usually there when Lizzie comes to make sure I am the best for her sister when we marry in the future. Not to mention, she's important to Lizzie."

"So? Who cares? She can't be that important to you," Alois raised the object to Ciel.

Ciel paused for a moment, not scared. Then he formed a smile. "I care about what happens to Selena."

I widened my eyes. Did he just confess to liking me?

Alois chuckled and gripped his object tighter. "Why?"

"Why not?" Ciel was trying to get Alois thinking. I could tell. "You should be honored you get to marry a girl like Selena. Instead, you get mad at her and leave bruises?"

I don't think I ever told him about the bruises. I don't think Sebastian would tell him either. I wanted that one a secret.

Alois eyed Ciel. He would kill Ciel if he had the chance. I wanted to go in there an stop but my feet were planted to the crack in the door. One of the butler has to know we've been gone for so long, right? I mean, Sebastian has to know that there is something wrong when all three of us leaves and hasn't returned.

 I noticed a dark shadow and turned around. I leaned against the cracked door, as if hiding what Alois and Ciel were doing. I looked up to them innocently.

"Claude, you scared me a little," I said as I stood straighter, trying to make him erase what he just saw.

Keep your composure Selena, I thought as I looked to him. After that thought came the thought of, he isn't nearly as intimidating looking as Sebastian can be.

Maybe I thought that because I've seen what Sebastian can do.

"I apologize, Misstress Selena," he said dryly. "Do you know where His Highness and Master Ciel is?"

I glanced to the door I was in front of momentarily. I wasn't trying to hint it to him but I wanted to keep them my little secret for a while.

"Haven't seen them," I said, trying to keep the nervousness from my voice. It looked like his eyes were glowing.

"Hm, at least I found one of you," he said as he turned from me and started walking down the hallway looking for another room to look in. Hell, he might even look in the garden.

I let out a sigh of relief and cracked the door again. When I peered in, the two of them had threw their weapons aside and were wrestling on the ground. Alright, enough fighting. I had no idea what they were fighting about nor how they knew each other when I have never heard Alois's name before a little bit ago, but it was time to end it now.

I slammed the door open. Alois stopped struggling and Ciel kept Alois's arms pinned to the ground. Well, glad to know Ciel was winning, I thought as I tilted my head slightly.

"Seriously? What is wrong with you two? Couldn't you have waited until I wasn't here with you?" I asked.

Alois smiled, it was an evil-looking smile, but he still smiled. He pushed Ciel off of him and stood up, bee-lining it stright to me. My heart pounded and my stomach started doing flips. Oh no, what was he going to do to me now? Ciel is right there.

He took my wrist and pulled me into his arms.  As his arms tightened around my body, making sure I couldn't writhe from him, he whispered in my ear, "Careful where of what you do, Selena, I might have to punish you for being too open-minded."

I widened my eyes in fear. "A-Alois." Alright, no one should make me studder like a rambling idiot.

"Heed my words, I can make sure no one ever sees you again."

If I was breathing, I wasn't anymore.

Ciel, by this time, was standing. After he saw my face, Ciel ran toward Alois, tackling him to the ground.

"You damned scum," he said as he punched him in the face.

"Ciel!"

When Ciel heard my voice, he stopped, made sure Alois was more pinned than before, and turned to me.  When he looked at me with hatred for Alois in his eyes, tears stung my eyes. I was happy Ciel was protecting me, but I didn't want to be there anymore.

"What, Selena?"

A tear escaped and rolled down my cheek. "Take me home...please."

After one more punch to Alois, Ciel got up, straightened everything and walked to me. He held out a hand and I took it.

"Come on, Selena," he said in a low caring voice. "Let me take you home."

He kept an arm around me as we left Alois laying there and made our way to the front of the manor. It was like Sebastian knew we wanted to leave because the carriage was ready for us. I took in a deep, quavered breath as I got in before Ciel.

On the ride home, I wanted to tell Ciel I heard most everything they said. I wanted to, but I was too tired to get much more out than a single word.

I closed my eyes and rested my head on Ciel's shoulder as I muttered, "Thanks, Ciel."