Chapter 23

Jo gathered them around a small low table. Her tongue felt heavy in her mouth: how do you tell someone who cares about you're probably going to die? She shouldn't have let Alaric in. It had been cruel of her; she wondered if he'd hate her for it, maybe it would be for the best. She formed a small pile of cushions and sat down, squeezing her legs under the table.

She closed her eyes as she told them about what Koldo had in store for her-- she knew looking their faces would distract her too much, she might have lost her nerve. She was met with complete silence after she was done. She didn't dare to open her eyes yet.

She felt a hand on hers, she knew it was Alaric's. She opened her eyes to see the young knight's face filled with worry and sorrow. She lifted a hand to his face, caressing his stubble.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner," she looked at Alaric, then at everyone. Wyn was pouting, holding her tears back by the looks of it. Laurentius' lips were pressed so tight they were but a line on his face, his brow was closely knitted. The mage didn't look sad, or concerned, he looked thoughtful.

"I..." Alaric squeezed her hand, "I think I understand why you didn't tell us. I would've grabbed you and sneaked you out of here in a second, damn the consequences," he gave her a sad smile. "It's not too late to escape, maybe we can fool them -- we'll leave Laurentius as bait and make a run for it, what do you say?" He didn't hate her, he wasn't angry at her. He was in denial. Her heart contracted painfully: it meant that he really cared. She wanted to cry, what had she done? He'd be left in pieces if she died. She should've stopped it before it was too late, she shouldn't have been so selfish. He didn't deserve that.

"As much as I'd love to run away with you right now," she smiled at him. "Koldo made it very clear he wouldn't let me refuse to participate in the ritual-- the look on his face ...boy, did he mean it," she joked half-heartedly. "I'll be a part of it, one way or another," she told him, doing her best to look confident, keeping her emotions at bay. She sighed, heavily. "At any rate... it's important. Keeping the tree from falling into the wrong hands..." she paused. "Imagine if Volstad took it? he'd be unstoppable, who knows what he'd do with all that power...We don't know what he wants, but whatever it is... it was worth the life of a King. And if I can help stop it, I guess I don't really have a choice, do I?" She was trying to convince herself more than Alaric. And the others.

"I wish I could take your place: I'd do it, in a heartbeat," Alaric squeezed her hands softly; she contracted her face, trying not to cry. "You're the bravest person I know, and the strongest. You'll make it, Jo-- you'll see. You are not going to die. You can't," he murmured.

"It won't matter if I do, or don't," she said, letting go of his hand. She didn't want to let go, but telling him what she was about to say would be too hard, impossible, if she held onto him. Alaric looked at her like a kicked puppy. Jo's heart broke into a million pieces.

"What do you mean?" Alaric whispered; he was not stupid. He suspected something bad was coming, she could see it in his eyes.

"I suppose you figured out what an impenetrable barrier entails: I'll be trapped here, after it's up," they all nodded, grimly. "You, all of you, need to get out of here before it happens."

"Completely out of the question," Alaric rose his voice, standing up. "I won't leave you here alone: if there's a chance you'll make it out alive --"

"I can't let you sacrifice your freedom for a sliver of a chance," Jo interrupted him; she stood up too, looking up at Alaric. "You need to get out of here, to make sure Volstad pays for what he's done. You need to figure out who killed Gerard, will you be able to live with yourself if you stay and I die? " she yelled.