Adrien-Chapter 18

Adrien pounced on the new female Hawk Moth, wincing as purple moths swirled around him and cut into his skin. Just one moth didn't do much damage, but a whole swarm of them hurt more than he thought possible. Even the small motion of holding Hawk Moth down took more effort than he ever thought possible.

To his surprise, Hawk Moth laughed menacingly as she stared up into his eyes. "So you're the infamous Chat Noir. Oh, I have lots of plans for you. Revenge, being the first on my list."

"What are you talking about?" Chat winced as another sharp butterfly wing cut into his arm, drawing blood. But even then, he couldn't stop staring at the necklace that dangled from Lady Hawk Moth's neck. He's seen that necklace before. Alyssa! "I've done nothing wrong!"

"Oh, not to me, you haven't. Not really. My revenge is my mentor's revenge. By the time my reign of terror is over, you will be dead."

He ducked down just in time to avoid a razor sharp wing to his face. "Why are you telling me this? Why not end me now?" Through the swirling purple-black chaos, Adrien caught sight of Ladybug herding frantic, screaming guests out. Those who didn't make it out ended up getting akumatized. He had to stop this from happening! He had to help them! But he couldn't let Hawk Moth escape. Not this time.

Hawk Moth grinned, her eyes lighting up evilly beneath her silver mask. "I do like a good game of cat and mouse. But in this case, the mouse comes out on top. I'm not going to make the same mistakes as my mentor and tease you and Ladybug with parlor tricks. I assure you that your death will be quick, but it most certainly won't be painless."

Adrien had to act now! Otherwise, he might be too late.

When he struck out to grab Hawk Moth's necklace, the swarm of purple picked up around him until he could no longer tell which way was up and which way was down. That was when the moths secreted a plume of purple smoke that Adrien couldn't help but inhale, but the smoke proved to be toxic. He coughed and wheezed and coughed again until he could hardly breathe at all. Panic set in as he tried to fill his lungs with air but couldn't. This was how he would die. He never saw this coming, but this certainly would be how he would die.

Blindly, he struck out in an attempt to attack Hawk Moth, but she had disappeared as if through thin air, and with her, the moths started trickling out of the room one by one. The dark haze of moths may have disappeared, but it did nothing to stop the burning pain in Adrien's lungs.

"Chat!" Ladybug screamed from across the room, and before he knew it, a strong pair of arms picked him up and they swung out of there by her yo-yo, Adrien hardly hanging onto consciousness. He tried to speak to her but he felt as if he was drowning. Panic set in yet again.

Ladybug landed on the rooftop of the building and immediately knelt by his side as she laid him down in the soft, powdery snow. The fresh air helped miraculously and allowed him to draw the wheeziest of breaths, but his breaths were quick and short, as he couldn't get enough air. It felt as if he breathed through a straw and instead of getting better, it only got worse.

"I need to get you to a hospital," Ladybug said as she cradled his face gently in her hands. "Just hold on, Chat. Hold on."

She wrapped her arm around his waist in preparation to pick him up again, but he shook his head, attempting to push her away despite how weak he felt.

"No," he gasped. "They'll...find out...who...I am."

Fire erupted in his lungs once more and his head started to feel hot. The image of Ladybug's black and red figure blurred in and out of his vision. If he were to die, there was no place he'd rather do it than in Ladybug's arms.

"Chat, do as I say!" Ladybug cried, tears streaking down her face. "I can't heal you. Just look at you! You're dying!"

Adrien latched tightly onto Ladybug's hand, willing her to never let go. "It means...too much...to you. You made me...promise."

"It doesn't matter! Chat, it doesn't matter." Her gentle hands cradled his face again but now his eyes couldn't focus on her anymore. "Your life matters more to me than hiding your identity. Detransform and I'll take you to the hospital."

His breathing became even more labored until he could hardly draw a single breath into his lungs. As Chat Noir, he found that he disliked water more and more the longer he was Chat. He never imagined himself drowning, but this felt way worse than he ever imagined drowning to be. It felt as if he had breathed in fire and it wouldn't leave his lungs.

With his very last breath, his body became limp and he whispered, "I won't."

Although Adrien's eyes closed, he could very faintly hear Ladybug's voice. "You're so stubborn, Chat! If you won't, then I'll force you."

Adrien felt a slight pressure on his hand as Ladybug slid his ring off his finger followed by a loud gasp, but he was already slipping away until he could feel nothing, hear nothing, and see nothing. However, the very presence of Ladybug gave him comfort. With her near, he felt as if he could die happy.