THREE ━ ❝that was last year❞

Start from the beginning

Those times were too dark ever to mention it seemed. But seeing the sorting now, Calypso was reminded of her own internal struggle with the hat. Hufflepuff, it wanted to say for her but she fought it. It wasn't that she thought Hufflepuff was a bad house to be in, but she always dreamed of being a Gryffindor. She always heard her parents say it was the safest – the best – house for her, so when the hat looked at who she truly was and wanted something different, she was firm with her want to be in Gryffindor. And, for a moment, it even considered Slytherin. Said there were some apparent traits there but it was shut down quickly by Calypso. She couldn't handle being placed there.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!" Dumbledore stood at his stand after everyone had been sorted, "I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair...mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcomed Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor."

Everyone clapped. Calypso had such a proud smile on her face, clapping loudly and cheering for him even though it ached so badly and she shouldn't, but how could she not? Her father had a stable job and she would finally get to see him so much! Angelina shoved her shoulder slightly and even though she winced, it wasn't noticeable.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" there was more applause for him.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts – at the request of the Ministry of Magic – will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban."

Calypso scoffed and leaned into Angelina, whispering, "This is stupid. He isn't going to murder Harry. All of this is bullshit!"

"Yeah, well, he did kill twelve muggles and basically murdered the Potters," Angelina murmured back and Calypso only rolled her eyes.

She wished to say it wasn't true, that he didn't murder anyone and that he's innocent – really! He is! – but she didn't. No one would even believe her so it wasn't worth trying.

"The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving," Dumbledore gravely finished.

Finally, they were able to eat yet Calypso felt as though she didn't really have an appetite anymore. All the talk about her uncle – indirectly, seeing as Dumbledore never actually named him – made her sick. He wasn't a murderer and she wasn't just like them. She saw people glancing at her and seventh years subtlety trying to warn the first years.

"Yeah, she's the niece of Sirius Black – I know – and she's trouble. I heard she punched Crabbe and Goyle in the face – they're Slytherins," she didn't, she's never punched someone in her life, "Stay away from her. She's probably just like them. I mean, she does come from a family of Death Eaters. Bet her mum's got a mark just like his."

Calypso balled up her first, trying not to lash out and strike him in the face. Oh, it made her blood boil. Her mum would never become a Death Eater after everything she's been through, and neither was her uncle. They were both good – both apart of the Order of the Phoenix when it existed. She just wanted to knock some sense into them but yet, still, she refrained herself.