out of my league | bucky barnes

Title: Out of My League

Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader

Summary: Bucky's been in love with Y/N for the past year, but convinced he's out of her league. Featuring Out of My League by Stephen Speaks

Warnings: none. Fluff

Word Count: 683

___

Bucky watched as Y/N effortlessly glided into the room -- well as effortlessly as one can glide at seven in the morning, and began making herself a bowl of cereal. He admired the girl, quickly finding himself staring. He couldn't help it, he'd had feelings for her for almost a year now.

It started with pet names -- darling, honey, sugar, and continued to small compliments, and most recently to attempts at flirting. Successfully convincing himself as well as everyone else around him that he, James Buchanan Barnes, had absolutely turned to mush at the hands of this girl. Everyday he had convinced himself that today was the day that he'd finally ask her out. He just couldn't do it, too many what ifs and reasons not to plagued his mind.

The most important one being that she was undeniably, easily, and untouchably out of his league. She was beautiful, intelligent, and a force to be reckoned with, why would she want to date him? All the trouble he'd caused in the past, the baggage he came with -- why would she want that? Any of that?

Not to mention, he was scared -- scared of how strong he felt for her, scared of rejection; and most of all, scared of hurting her as the Winter Soldier, or worse, Bucky Barnes. He couldn't lose her, he would never forgive himself if she were hurt at his hand.

She was too wonderful for this world, all he wanted to do was protect her. If he couldn't love her fully, then he'd at least take care of her -- not that she'd need his help. He sighed as he continued to admire her.

Her H/C hair was pulled back away from her face and on top of her head today. He could see loose curls sticking out of her bun as she stood on her tippy toes to get a bowl. When she turned her E/C eyes were vibrant at the sight of him.

'Its her hair and her eyes today that just simply take me away,' He thinks to himself gleefully as she waves hello to him and plops a silver spoon into her bowl. "Hey, Bucky." She smiles, her voice still laced with sleepiness and her eyes drowsy once again. Its the way she says his name that he can't help, but smile, "Morning, doll."

She chews her cereal before pursing her lips and resting her chin in the palm of her hand, "Doll? That's new." She smiles, eyeing Bucky. Under her gaze, he feels the need to fidget and avoid her eyes, but stops himself. Her E/C irises are staring into his blue ones and it feels suddenly as if she knows everything, "Bucky, can I ask you a question?"

He nods, 'This is it. She knows, everything.' She stared at him for a few more seconds before she speaks, "What do you think about the color red?" He sighs, but is still rather confused, "Huh?"

"The party. I still need a dress and I was thinking red." She clarifies, spooning more cereal into her mouth. He nods slowly, remembering Tony's party plans, "Red is a nice color."

"Do you think it would look nice on me?" She asks and milk dribbles down her chin. The sight of her covering her mouth embarrassed and daintily wiping at it with at napkin is cute to him. Bucky chuckles, shaking his head, "You'd look good in anything, darling."

Her smile brightens more at this, making his heart flutter. She seems satisfied with his answer so he gets up to put his coffee cup in the sink. He goes to leave when she speaks again, startling him.

"Will you be my date?" She asks and he's not quite sure if he heard her right or if it was a mistake. "What?" He whips around and looks at the girl, sitting on a stool, her eyes wide.

"I wanted to know if you'd be my date, but if you don't want to that's cool too--" He cuts her off, grinning, "I'd love to be your date, doll."