Total Eclipse

A/N I was inspired by today's events so I decided to write this short little one shot. I live in Pennsylvania so we only had a partial eclipse and I didn't even get to see it, but the total eclipses were all over the news. I just thought this would be a cute SUPER short one shot to write. Plus, I haven't updated this in a while.

*

"Are you guys ready for the eclipse?" some girl— I think her name is Kelsey— asked as she came up to my group of friends unexpectedly.

Kelsey is the kind of girl who thinks she is everyone's friend.

"Um, yeah," my friend Dominic answered.

Everyone is gathered in our local park for a pre-eclipse party of sorts. But to be honest, I'm not that excited for the eclipse itself. I'm excited for what happens during the eclipse.

  Right at the peak of darkness, I get to meet him.

  I've never been so nervous, but thankfully my nervousness could look like excitement to anyone that doesn't know what's going on in my head.

  We've never met before. You know, me and him. But don't get all uppity about stalkers and old dudes. He goes to a school nearby and I know people who know him. But until today we've only ever spoken over the phone.

  When he asked if I wanted to meet him, I was pretty shocked. He had never brought it up before. Part of me was afraid he would never want to meet and I was just some kind of fling with him. But I guess not...

  "What about you, Thomas?" Kelsey asks now, breaking me out of my thoughts.

  "What?" I ask. She's smiling too brightly at me. It's almost creepy. I think she has a crush on me and she somehow hasn't realized I'm gay yet.

  "Are you excited?" she repeats.

  "Um, yeah. Who wouldn't be," I answer with not much feeling.

Kelsey turns to the rest of the guys around me, but I'm pretty sure she is still talking to me when she asks, "Are you guys going to find a special someone to watch it with?" Half the guys in the group laugh the other half hug their girlfriends to their sides as if saying, "obviously."

  She turns back to me. "What about you, Thomas?"

  "Nope, no one special. Just these guys." I gesture to my friends.

  My friend Reggie slaps me on the shoulder. "Oh come on, Tommy. We're plenty special."

I roll my eyes and manage a laugh.

"Okay," Kelsey chirps trying to stay cheerful. "Well maybe I'll see you before it's over, Thomas."

I say, "Sure," but I really mean, "not a chance." I'm not letting anyone ruin my plans, not today.

  Kelsey skips away to another group of people that she thinks are her friends.

  Just then, my phone starts ringing. It's him. I try not to let my smile get too big as I get up and walk a little ways away from the group.

  "Hey," I whisper into the phone after hitting the answer button.

  "Hey. Are you ready?" he asks.

  "Yeah. Are you here?"

  "Not yet. I'm on my way. Remember 1:30."

  "1:30. I wouldn't miss it."

  "See you then," he says, and I swear I could hear the smile in his voice.