Outrageous

I sit at my desk in physics class and stare at the first page of my test. It’s been ten minutes and I haven’t even written my name down anywhere on the paper. The second page is just as difficult looking as the first, as is the third page. I can’t do this.

I turn my attention to the clock: 12:23pm. I have until 1:15pm, which is plenty of time if you’re someone who knows what they’re doing. I don’t. All I see is a bunch of numbers scattered and sentences asking me to figure things out from those numbers using bla and bla. I am going to fail.

I rest my head on my desk and try to think. Immediately, my eyes slam shut, as if an invisible force is yanking on them in some sort of unnatural way.

“You have the data?”

“All of it, your majesty.”

“The instructions that I gave you?”

“Yes, your majesty.”

“You know the exact moment that you will be carrying this out?”

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Mind if I give you a quick demonstration of exactly how to perform your task?”

“Do as you please, your majesty.”

The man in the crown comes in with a girl. She has long wavy black hair. He pins her against the wall. “First you cut out the brain cells that allow the weaving.” The king takes a knife out of his back pocket and literally cuts out a good chunk of the girl’s skull as if he has super strength or something. The girl screams and I shiver as goosebumps appearon my arms. He scoops something weird out and puts it in a sealed metallic container. “Take this for a moment…” The king absentmindedly hands his young knight the container. Then, the king takes his knife and stabs the girl though the heart, twisting the blade in constant circles as he does so. When the girl finally collapses to the cold stone floor, he says “That’s how you kill a dreamweaver.”

I wake up and rub my eyes. I realize that the girl in the dream was me. Was it my dream? Is that why I didn’t have to solve anything? Or was it someone else’s?

“Sky, may I collect your test? You’ve been here five extra minutes past the bell. Surely you have had enough time.” The physics teacher grabs my test. “Why, you haven’t completed a single thing!” The teacher’s face grows pink with frustration. “What have you been doing this entire class? I would have expected that you would have at least put forth an effort. Zero percent for you and detention after school. You may leave now Sky.”

“Whoa..umm. Okay.” I say numbly and walk out the door. That dream, wherever it came from, took up my entire period. I’m screwed for physics and I think that I have a slight mystery to solve.

*******************

“Well, I didn’t exactly write the test.”

“Huh?”

“Clary, I was asleep.”

“What?”

“I slept through the entire test and I’m supposed to be in detention as we speak.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah.”

“Why aren’t you in detention then? I can’t believe you- asleep?! That’s outrageous. Why Sky? Why?”

“I don’t know. Because I’m Sky?”

Clary sighs. “Go to your detention. I’ll walk home by myself. It’s fine.”

“Are you kidding me? I’m not going to detention.”

“Well, then I’m definitely not walking with you. You need to start following more of the rules or something, Sky. I think you’re getting out of control and I don’t want a friend like that.”

“Well… I uh. I’m sorry, but I can’t go to detention. You….. You don’t have to be friends with me. Not if you really don’t want to… I guess.”

“Whatev’s, Sky.” Clary turns sharply on her heel and walks away from me.

I stand there in front of my tall blue locker. I try not to cry.