Dreams of Creepiness

“I’m so glad to be here with you right now.” I turn my head in the direction of the voice.

“Whoa,” I say to the boy in front of me. Except. It’s not just any boy. It’s Alec Parkinson, my desk partner in chemistry class. He’s also not a boy anymore. He’s a young man dressed in a tuxedo and he’s holding my hands in both of his.

“What is it?” He asks me. All I can do is grip my wedding dress in my sweating hands.

“Uh…. I’m just so overwhelmed and happy to be here too. I can’t believe that I’m going to be spending the rest of my life with you!” I tell him, going with the flow of the dream. I have to if I ever want to get out of Alec’s weird and creepy dream.

“Me too.” Alec says.

“I think you two had best stop talking and take your vows.” The pastor dude says to us.

We go through a number of “I do” responses and then, the moment comes.

”You may now kiss the bride.”

Alec leans forward as a wide smile plays across his lips. I copy him and lean forward as well. Pushing all frightened thoughts to the back of my mind, I kiss him. His lips taste salty, like the water from the ocean that I accidentally swallowed when I was seven.

The dream fades.

“Are you ready for the physics test?” Clary asks me, frantically whipping through notes on whatnot formulas and other complicated physics diagrams.

“Not really.” I admit. “I’m kinda winging it.”

“Wow Sky.” She shakes her head at me. “If you really want to get into university, don’t you think that you should work harder than this?”

“Who said that I wanted to get into university-?”

“You did. Last week.”

“That was in the past.”

“Pfft.” Clary scoffs. “Whatever it was.”

“It was. My priorities have changed over time. I’ve grown wiser.”

“Really? In a week?” Clary sighs. “So what wise things do you have to say?”

“I say screw school and love video games. I don’t need university. There’s college, which is just as good, or there’s McDonald’s.”

“Cause you want to work there.”

“Clary, it’s my dream.”

“Oh my gosh. Where is this conversation going?”

“It’s going to my house. Not physics.”

“You’re writing the test, Sky.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Fine… But, I’m gonna fail. Can I copy off yours?”

“No.”

“Okay.” I give up way too easily in conversations with Clary. She’s just so tough on me.