I take a deep breath, the smell of both sweat and cleaning products filling my senses before my eyes settle on Declan. He's busy taking off his boxing gloves. His hair is stuck to his face and beads of sweat are clearly visible on his face.

I walk to him with my head held high.

"Hey," I start. I don't know how else to approach my little brother but it's enough to get his attention as he looks at me. "Can I speak to you?"

He looks over at uncle Dom who is watching us with caution. He knows what could potentially happen next and I don't blame him. I just need to be careful how I go about this conversation but there is no easy way to say anything I need to say.

Declan looks back at me and nods. "What's up?"

I mention for him to sit on the wooden bench by the wall and he moves easily to it, flopping down on the solid surface before I get a chance to sit on it.

"Before I start, I wanted you to be the first person I told because of what happened before."

Declan takes a deep breath and places his boxing gloves down on the floor. "If it's about Luca, just spit it out. Uncle Dom is here to overlook things if I need to let off steam."

I look over at uncle Dom who immediately raises his hands in the air and shrugs.

"I'm just a bystander here. Don't mind me."

I nod and look back at Declan. "Luca's dad came to see me earlier."

Declan frowns. "I thought he was in America."

"He was," I confirm. "He's only here for business, or so he said."

"That entire family has a thing for lying," I hear uncle Dom comment.

I don't respond to him because I know it's what Declan was about to say. Declan's smirk is only ratifying that.

"He's offered to take me to New York tomorrow so I can speak to Luca."

Declan says nothing. Instead, he looks to the padded floor and grips the bench at either side of him. I place a hand on his upper arm, his newly found muscle's tightening beneath my grasp.

"It's been four weeks, Declan. You knew this day would come sooner or later. It just so happens that I've let time slip away really quickly."

Declan continues to stare at the floor, breathing deeply which has uncle Dom hovering around us in case anything happens.

"Remember what I told you, Declan." Uncle Dom says, breaking the silence.

Declan takes a few more deep breaths and presses his hands together. I take my hand away from his arm and wait for him to talk. "I knew it was coming, yes. Will I get used to hearing you say his name again? No. Will I come to accept the two of you together? One day in the very distant future."

I smile on an intake of breath. I want to hug my brother but I refrain from doing so. I don't want to be too overeager in showing my happiness because he's slowly but surely coming round to the idea of Luca and I once more. It's taken him four weeks to get to this stage and I don't want to set him back.

"Being here," Declan begins, "has helped me let go of the anger I had building up towards Luca and everything that's happened. Don't expect me to welcome him into the mix like I did before when you decide to get back together again."

"I'm not going to ask you to do that until you're ready," I assure. I decide against the urge to not hug my brother and hug him tightly. "Thank you, Declan"

He pats my arm on a sigh. "Yeah yeah."

I pull away from him and get to my feet. "You may be my little brother but you sure do act like a big brother."