Trust No One

Mystic Falls, 1864.

Stepping out of the kitchen, I cleaned my hands off with a towel near the counter when I heard Katherine's footsteps walk above me.

"It's good to see you, Pearl.' Katherine said as I stride into the foyer while Katherine stood on the stairs above everyone.

'Perhaps we could talk outside. Lauren.' Pearl whispered as she headed out to the back of the house.

'Elizabeth, would you please tell Mr. Salvatore that I've stepped away?' 

'Which one?' Elizabeth whispered, along with a smirk on her lips.

'Both...' Walking closer to the edge of the stairs where Katherine was standing, the both of us exchange looks before following Pearl outside.

'How long do you plan on staying with the Salvatore's? People talk, Katherine. You, carrying on with both brothers, doesn't help the situation.' Pearl asked.

'The Salvatores have been kind to take me in. As far as everyone here knows, I'm a poor orphan girl from Atlanta, lost her family in the fires.' Katherine said with a sarcastic tone.

'A match you lit, no doubt' I whispered as Katherine chuckled while glancing over at me.

'Honey, please be careful,' Pearl yelled at her daughter, as she reached out to touch the horse.

'Honorary Fell came by the apothecary yesterday with a case of this elixir.' Pearl said, handing Katherine a clear bottle with some kind of liquid inside.

'She asked that it be sold at a reduced rate.'

'I don't follow' Katherine asked.

'Try it.'

Opening the bottle, she smelled it first before pressing the top on her wrist. 

'Ah...'

Hearing her skin sizzling, I grabbed the closed Elixir and held it up in the air.

'What in hell?'

'Vervain...' I whispered.

'Why is there...they know.' Katherine sighed as I handed it back to Pearl.

'They're trying to find us, and they're getting crafty about it.'

'The townspeople ingesting vervain? Well, that's inconvenient.'

'It might be time for us to move again.' Pearl whispered.

Glancing over at me, Katherine's hand touches my arm.

'You have to protect yourselves.' I added.

'Can we go, Mama?' Pearls daughter said.

Turning around, Katherine and I watch Pearl's daughter walk up to us.

'Is something wrong?'

Present Day.

"Do you think Damon really believes us?" Elena asked Stefan and I.

Picking up one of the boxes behind her, I searched inside pulling out books and old memorabilia from years ago.

"That we're trying to help him?" She added.

"I don't think Damon knows what to believe. Trust isn't something that comes naturally to him." Stefan whispered.

"You know...I really think Damon believes that everything's he's done, every move that he's made, he's done for love. It's twisted, but kind of sad." She added, as Stefan and I looked at each other cautiously.