Chapter Seven

The rest of the night is spent with them unknowing of what's going on with me. I don't even know what's going on with me. I know from the very first cough up I should have gone straight to the hospital. Surely it isn't normal to suddenly cough up blood. But if I did that, what would happen?

I'd be under intensive care and prying eyes twenty-four-seven, again. I would be restricted from feeding myself pudding. I would be looked at like an injured puppy kicked in the chest. But I am not an injured puppy. I am just a girl who was at the wrong place at the wrong time, struck with a life-changing stray bullet. I am a girl who is trying to move on and not be a doll who broke her fragile arm. I just want to be okay again. I don't want to be sticked and prodded and spoken to softly. This will probably pass and I will definitely move on with my life.

I awake the next morning feeling sick. Stomach rumbling kind of sick. It doesn't help that all the comforters are wrapped around my body, making me feel like a burning up marshmallow. I kick the thick sheets off my legs and stand. I curse under my breath when I see it is ten past nine. I have under an hour until I have to be at school. I have school all of this week. How it works with the program and school is, I go to school one week, then the program the next. It will be on and off, sometimes mixed, and it will be stressful. The doctors have advised I take it slow. I only got shot last month, but I can't slow down. In fact, I need to speed up more than ever.

I don't have time take to take for granted. I have two important things I have to maintain. Of which will not wait for me to stop and take a breath. If I do, they will slip away from my fingers without any hesitation. I can't — I just cannot watch both things that I love and rely on. I basically got a promotion at the program. My boss seems to like me, however odd he appears. His approval will help me in the long run and ensures that I am on the path to success. And school, I have always loved learning. The ability to retain knowledge without limits. I can't lost school or the program, which I was lucky enough to get into twice. I know there will not be a third acceptance, so I will refrain from taking my second entry lightly.

I shuffle into the kitchen agitated. Though my mood instantly spikes when I see Grey shaking cereal out into a bowl, my favorite, in fact: Lucky Charms. I watch as he puts the box back in the cupboard, but I notice there are loads more. And he doesn't even like them. So, he essentially bought them just for me. Hoarded, would be the better term actually.That little sentiment makes my heart soar and I am momentarily sated and not prepared to rip his head off his marvelous body.

He must hear my conflicted thoughts, because he looks up after pouring out orange juice in a tall glass. The warm smile that overtakes his face makes my stomach ruffle like feathers.

"Oh, good morning, sleeping beauty," his raspy morning voice croons.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I grumble, voice thick with exhaustion. I feel like I've barely caught a wink of sleep last night. I woke up once to cough up blood, once again, and wasn't able to sleep much after that. I contemplated going to the hospital and getting myself checked out without Grey, but decided against it. I don't know how long I would have been there, and I couldn't miss school. Plus, I don't want to worry Grey. He has this huge fight coming up and I want him focused on that. I'll be okay.

"Because you seemed really tired," he says and places the bowl of cereal and glass of juice in front of me as I sit behind at kitchen island. "I thought you could use the rest."

Oh, bless his heart. He's being so sweet.

I smile graciously. "Thank you, that's very sweet... but I have school in less than an hour."

"So?" he shrugs. "I'll drop you off and pick you up."

"Don't you have training? Your fight is in just one month, you don't have time to waste on me." I spoon some cereal in my mouth and watch as his face twists up in protest.