Chapter One

A leaf fluttered from a mighty oak tree that stood before me. I smiled as the vegetation floated gently through the air, landing delicately on the pathway infront of me. My eyes lift from the ground and I stare straight ahead at the school. Oakwood High. A feeling of anticipation, wariness and excitement filters through my body as I watch the students hustle and bustle through the car park. A junior. I was finally a junior. A slight dance escapes my feet as I begin the small walk to the main entrance. A group of seniors sit on the hood of a gleaming black car to the right of me, and they whistle as I walk past. Ugh, stupid, ignorant, uptight boys. Why do girls fuss so much over them? All they do is compliment you one day, and break your heart the next. It's beyond me. 
A give them a sly smile as I stalk past, holding my files tightly in my olive hand. I feel my bag hit my lower back as my steps become faster, the entrance to school looming ahead of me. A breeze ruffles through the schoolyard, and my brunette hair is sent flying like a cape. I scowl and readjust my white headband, making sure everything stays perfect. As I'm almost about to enter the building, I look to my side. A group of fellow Juniors sit on a bench, laughing like they're hyenas. I see no files in their hands, or any motivation whatsoever for them to be here. I frown, what's the point of coming to school if they didn't want an education?
I lay my hands against the see through door, and push it open. The coolness of an air-conditioned hallway makes my skin prickle. I take a deep breath in and smile, this is where I belong. Here, studying, learning, becoming smarter and smarter each day. I make my way over to the green lockers that line the wall and shift my file into one hand. I nimbly shift the numbers on the lock to fit my passcode, before I yank open the door. I smile at the sight. Over the summer holidays, nothing has been touched. My many files lay neatly stacked in the small space, my white brimmed reading glasses are folded neatly to the side. A novel I began reading last year lay half finished optop of my maths workbook. I'll make a note to finish it this term. I place my new file on top of the others and turn to the inside of the door. Pictures lay sticky taped to it. 
The first picture I let my eyes lay on is of my best friend Sarah Cooper and me. Her pale, white skin and curly blonde hair look completely different to my dark, olive skin and straight brunette hair. I look at her eyes, so deep and blue. I look at my eyes, so bright and green. Completely different, yet completely the same. I smile and look at the next picture. It's of me and my older sister, Leslie. The sunlight in the background of the photograph almost blinds my eyes as I remember the memory. We were at my grandparents farm, sitting on a bale of hay. Our identical brunette hair was being whipped around by the wind and we were laughing at a joke my grandma just made. I tear welled up in my eye. This was taken a week before her death. 
As I feel more tears coming on, I shut my locker. I can't bare to look at anymore memories that were held there. I stand there for a minute, gathering myself, when I feel a tap on my shoulder. Slightly startled, I turn my head to look at the tapper. It's Sarah, and instantly I feel my spirits being lifted. Without any words being spoken, she pulls me into a tight hug.
"Oh Maya!" she squealed, jumping up and down as she let me go. 
"We're Juniors Maya!"
I smile and laugh at her excitement, "I know! I can't wait to see what the curriculum, the work and the homework is like as a Junior! I hope it's hard, the homework last year was pretty boring."
I frown as I remember the algebraic expressions and fractional algebra homework sheets I was assigned to do last year. They honestly took me five minutes to complete. If teachers gave us homework to challenge our brains, why would they give me such boring work.
Sarah sighs, "Maya is that really all you think about! I mean come on, it's a new year, start fresh! Have some fun." She grips my hand tightly in hers and looks at me with this big, blue, meaningful eyes.
"You know I want to, Sarah, but my parents expect me to get straight A's and obtain a College Scholarship by the end of my schooling. I just can't screw it up."
Sarah frowned, but smiled again not long after. "I know, May May."
I giggled at the cute nickname my friend had given me when we first met eachother in Grade 6. She said it fit me well, with my bubbly personality and the fact my birthday was May 16th.
My bestfriend looked around the school halls as more and more teens entered. You can sense the different personalities without even having to ask. Emily Trottey walked past, her black glasses pushed as far up as they could go, her black dress falling down to her feet. All Emily cared about was the creative writing program, everything else she miserably failed at.
"It looks like she's going to trip over her dress! Look!" Sarah giggled and I laugh along with her. This really was what life is about. I pull her into another quick hug, "Oh Sarah I can't wait for this year to get moving."
I felt her grip tighten and she agreed, letting go and looking me up and down. "I wish I could stay around and talk, but I have to go see Mr. Whitnester to explain why I want to have one of my periods switched around. Hopefully he'll listen! By, May May!"
Sarah smiled and spun on her heels, scuttling down the hall towards the principles office. A smiled as I watched her go, and sighed contently as I leant my back against the locker. Nothibng could possibly go wrong.
My eyes searched through the many juniors bumping eachother as they made their way down the hall. I didn't know many of them, even though most I grew up with. When it came to school, I wasn't here to behold a social upstanding. I was here to get an education, graduate, get a scholarship to college and be successful in life. In my eyes, if one wasn't dedicated to getting an education, they shouldn't be here.
Speaking of the devil, I scowl as a group of boys enter the hallway. Each have on a skin tight black shirt, with a pair of jeans and a jacket that matched. They were so up themselves, it made me want to puke. They nudged eachother and laughed as they strode down the hallways. Ben Zippleback, Luke Crimswater, Gus Zippleback and Denny Freen. They'd been friends for aslong as I could remember, they'd also been the worlds best badboys for aslong as I can remember too. Being idiots in class, pulling pranks, being bullies to everyone. Including me. As they passed I watched as the stuck their tongue out at me and made glasses with their fingers. I did my best to ignore them, but it really does get on your nerves. But then I noticed one of them wasn't there, the 'head' of their group, Tyson, was nowhere to be found. Not like I cared or anything, I was just wondering.
Suddenly the morning bell chimes through the air and I smile, turning around and opening my locker again. I pull out the files I need and slam the door shut, turning around and making my way to homeroom. I have to push past some people who obviously are in no rush to get to Homeroom on time. I walk to the end of the hallway, untill I reached the first flight of stairs. I shift my files into one hand and grip the handling as I skip up the steps, being careful not to trip. 
I make it to the top and turn the corner, running into something while doing so. I fumble as I regain my footing and look up at the person unfortunately enough to get into my way.
"I'm so sorry," I shyly mumble as I look up, but then all traces of being sorry were washed from me. Tyson stood infront of me, he had a white muscle shirt on that clung to this muscled body. A black jacket was hanging limply on his shoulders, and he was wearing white skin tight jeans as well as black converses.
"Woah, watch where you're walking four-eyes." he spat, pushing me out of the way. He strode down to the stairs and started to leap down them, untill he was out of sight.

I plan to finish this novel, so it'd be a big help if you could read, comment, vote, whatever really! I hope you enjoy my writing :D