Chapter 10: Midnight Maroon

Start from the beginning

The clock ticked again. I inhaled a deep breath.

I was embarrassed, ashamed even to tell him the following, to say the least. I could already feel my cheeks being adorned with a red tint. But it had to be stated; I knew that the clock would run out if I didn’t say it. I’d lose the chance to redeem myself, my old self. I’d lose Ethan.

“You won’t lose me forever.”

Silence. The car sputtered in protest, crickets glided by the roads. A clock chimed painfully, signaling its last tick. Relief, deprived from my body. A familiar emptiness drifted into my mind. It was useless, why even try-

“Haven’t I already?” Ethan said, snapping me back to reality. He tried to seem doubtful, but I could tell just by the way his eyes glinted, reflecting flashing lights, that he was maybe, just maybe, smiling inside. His set jaw was now more slack, his hands unclenching from his tight grip on the steering wheel. My lip tugged up a little, I stuffed a strand of my hair into my mouth. The traffic lights were gone, and now we were going down a lonely road. 

“I won’t let you,” I replied, sounding muffled as red strings of hair flew out of my mouth. Ethan chuckled a little, now smiling on the outside, and softly tugged the hair out of mouth, twisting it between his fingers. I studied his face as he peered at it. On the outside, he seemed much more different than six years back. Not the wimpy kid anymore, he had a strong yet gentle grasp. No longer without hobbies, his football physique was obvious, even with a leather jacket on. A rebel of sorts. But inside I knew he was nothing but the same; still funny, caring, and very, very determined.

And I didn’t mind one bit.

I didn’t have time to brace myself before his eyes latched onto mine, a bit too close for comfort. It was a piercing gaze, and I was shocked. Just a second before he peeled his eyes away from me, there was an intense impact on me, and it wasn’t my heavy breathing or the ambitious air; it was the mere expression etched on his face, one I hadn’t seen in what felt like eternity.

Joy.

And it mirrored off my face, too. It was the first time since long ago I felt alright in Ethan’s company. The tension lifted, I felt safe and sound.

“Ethan, are you sure we’re going the right way? This doesn’t seem like how I get to my house...” I wondered. I’ve never been down this road before and it seemed to stretch on for a long, long while. Darkness lurked everywhere around the car.

“Yeah, I’m sure... I mean, I think so. We’re almost there,” he said hesitantly. Maybe this was a shortcut?

Skid! Skid! Skid!

The world was shaking. The moon did a little dance, the car followed along. The only thought coursing through my mind as my heart juddered was whether or not I was on a rollercoaster. I heard another skidding sound, loud and clear, as I was slammed into the car door.

“Ow! Ethan, are you-you alright?” I screamed. Something metallic punched my arm from the side, and gave it a throbbing pain. When I looked down, the door was dented. Another gasp of surprise left my lips as I heard Ethan cursing under his breath. I frantically whipped my head around everywhere to see what was happening.