I nodded and cracked another joke, "Yeah, I guess we've done enough charity for the rest of our lives."

He chuckled, mumbling something about me being rude before he stopped and out of nowhere abruptly seemed a bit stressed out. His eyes narrowed and I watched him try to figure out his words, probably not wanting to say something offensive or phrase himself in a funny way. He usually looked like that when he was about to say something I would find stupid.

But his next words weren't as stupid sounding to me as they probably were to any other parent on this earth.

"What does a two-year-old eat?" Justin raised his brows, suddenly seeing deep in thought while the questions continued to slip out of his lips, "How well does two-year-olds speak? What do they think of? What kind of toys do they like?"

"What size of clothes do they wear?" I asked back, a giggling leaving my mouth although the questions began to pop into my head. I realised that we weren't prepared for this, we'd only recently gotten the question about adoption and now we had already signed the papers. Which means, a two-year-old girl will be moving to our house within a couple of days and we've got nothing. No toys, no clothes, no food, no nothing. "What do we even know about babies?"

"I know they usually like my phone," Justin shrugged and this time it was my turn to furrow my brows at him, "I mean, whenever I'm around a child, I usually give them my phone and they're fine with that. It keeps them busy."

"We can't raise our child by giving our phones away, Justin."

He mumbled a why not in response but judging from the look on his face, I could tell that he was joking. Later on, he explained briefly how he knew the slightest about raising children and that we would go through the learning process together. We may not have read books or had the time to prepare us both we were going to be taught instantly and there's no better way of learning than trying things out. Trial and error, as they say.

The only difference this time and other learning experiences you had through life, was the fact that this is about a child's life. A child who needs parents and help. Jennie's coming from a family who's clearly not given a shit about her, she's going to be afraid and we're going to get thrown into it all at once.

Our current situation really was something else, I had never in a million years expected this to be my future when I ended up in an elevator with him. I saw a couple of months of dating, sure, but not that we would be signing up for a child adoption, especially not this early in the stage. 

I took a deep breath and smiled, a confidence feeling suddenly taking place in my stomach as I realised that no matter how much we messed things up through our trial and error with Jennie, we were still going to provide her with a great life and be better parents than the one she had before. I looked at Justin, my smile clearly transferring onto his lips as well while I assured him, "We've got this."

"I know," He shrugged, "I would never doubt you as a mother."

I squealed, the idea of it being so close really hitting me and I wanted to throw up butterflies. That's my mood shifting right now. I went from feeling nauseous to feeling amazing, in a matter of a few seconds, and then I was right back at it again feeling nauseous. It's crazy what nerves can make you feel like.

Justin opened his mouth in order to say something but he was abruptly interrupted by Emily stepping back inside the room, mentioning for us that we were allowed to leave whenever we wanted now. I barely had the time to say goodbye before Justin was dragging us out the door, gesturing for me to get in the car. 

I laughed at his sudden movements, feeling my body fly along with his strength, "Oh my God, can you chill?" I couldn't hold back the giggles and it wasn't until I was fully sitting, panting and out of breath, in the car that I was giving him a weird gaze, "What happened?"