26 HOURS

Chapter 6

"I don't know how much longer I can take this," I mumbled, lying down on my back whilst staring at the ceiling of the elevator. It had been too many hours now, I had even lost count. It was night again. We should be sleeping. Yet, we had been lying here together, next to each other, and talked about nothing and everything for the past hours.

Justin sighed, "I know, what time is it now?"

"It's only been five minutes since you asked last time," I couldn't help but chuckle. Being stuck in an elevator is bad but him being here, made me slightly happier. My battery was dying soon and when that happened, we would lose complete track of time. Maybe that was for the better, though. In that way, time could move faster.

Anytime I checked my phone, I was hoping for signals. Hoping I could call someone. I knew it was pointless, they knew we were in here already and they were probably doing everything in their power to get us out. Right? They wouldn't just leave us in here. Not Justin, anyway. He's a priority for people.

"That sucks," He muttered. I was going to ask him if he remembered when he said we'd only have to be in here for a little while. I can remember the look on his face when he told me that so confidently, completely unaware that so many hours would pass by without a single trace of a human being trying to help us, "So what do you think? How much longer?"

"We've already been here for a day and a half," I mumbled, "It wouldn't surprise me if we were stuck for a few more days."

"We haven't eaten anything in a long time," Justin stated, his eyebrows seeming surprised with himself as he uttered his words. I didn't know if he was hungry but it didn't matter if I asked, I didn't want to think about food in case all of this would get worse. My hunger stopped for a long time ago.

"I can't feel hunger anymore," I shrugged as if it was no big deal. It wasn't the worst thing that's happened to us. The worst thing was the space. If only we had a little bit more space and slightly more comfortable things to sleep on. It would be gladly appreciated. "Can you?"

He didn't answer me and I figured I shouldn't push the conversation. Maybe he didn't want to talk about it too. The worst part of not feeling hunger was the fear of suddenly starting to and thinking about food could definitely do that to you. When and if that would happen, I don't think you would survive the next time your hunger disappears.

So it hit me.

"We're gonna die, aren't we?"

Justin sat up, gave me an annoyed look before he leant his back against the wall. He continued to stare at me and I tried to read his expression but he only looked bored. My words didn't seem to cut very deep and eventually, he shrugged. I remember him being the positive one, he told me multiple times before that we were going to get out of here but now; he looked slightly bit more hopeless. It scared me.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" My voice got dry at the thought of him losing hope, he was the one of us who was supposed to always keep the faith. He was supposed to save me from drowning in my own depression thoughts. Instead, his eyes were slowly being filled with emptiness, "Justin!"

He flinched at my high pitched tone and I watched his face grow annoyed. It was like all of a sudden, we went back to square one and the frustration in the elevator grew back to that level of pettiness we had in the beginning. I didn't want that to happen but at the same time, I didn't know how to stop it.

I tried to get eye contact with him but he kept staring down his knee, focusing his gaze on his hands that I saw was fumbling around nervously. He was trying to avoid the topic and I knew we were both near a mental breakdown. I was afraid of myself and the way we handled the situation, none of us was stable enough to go through this and it eventually hit me that I was having an actual panic attack.