fifteen

It's almost ironic how quickly I've learned to adjust to this entire situation, especially considering the fact that change used to absolutely appall me.

Riley stroked her chin, pretending to be deep in thought.

"What are you doing?" I laughed, my voice chock full of affection.

The brunette looked at me like it was obvious. "I'm thinking, duh!"

I scooted closer to her, removing her hand from her chin and replacing it with my own. "You're cute."

"You tell me that a lot."

Leaning in so that our noses were brushing, I whispered. "Because it's true, and I want you to remember that."

The hand I had placed on Riley's cheek could feel her skin grow warm in response to my compliment. Shyly, she closed the remaining space to peck me on the lips before pulling back.

"How do you get your lips so soft?" Riley asked, slowly running her thumb along my bottom lip.

"Lip balm. You know, I would offer you some but it's all the way upstairs in my room" I exaggerated. "Today's your lucky day though because I applied extra this morning and wouldn't mind sharing with you."

Riley giggled, cuddling into my neck to hide her blush as she wrapped her arms around my waist. "How generous of you peaches." She laughed angelically. "Well, I can't turn down an offer like that, can I?"

She kissed me again, longer and more passionately this time. Riley barely pulled away, causing her taste to linger on my lips for longer than I could imagine.

My eyes remained closed as I basked on the glory of this moment. Never in a million years would I have believed you if you told me I would fall in love with a suspected murderer, but here I was. Head over heels for a girl named Riley Matthews.

Riley was addicting, she ignited a spark in me that could only come from her touch. The way her fingers danced around on the back of my neck or how her hot breath against my sensitive skin was enough to make my heart stop. Wherever she went, she brought along with her the faint smell of vanilla, it was-

"I want to see Lucas and Farkle."
A voice interrupted my thoughts.

"That's a horrible idea and you know it, Riles." I dismissed. Riley had been trying to convince me to let her see the boys ever since that night we snuck out to visit her house.

She pulled away from me even farther. Somehow, the small space between us felt like it stretched until the end of the horizon. Riley ran a hand through her hair, trying to tame the mess.

"I'm ready." She sighed, clasping her hands together confidently.

I shook my head, ignoring the downpour on the windows as rain began to fall. "It's not about whether or not you're ready, Riley. I just want you to be safe." I paused. "I need you to be safe."

"Don't you get it Maya? Danielle knows about me. She knows about us. I heard what she said to you the other day." Riley took a moment to reflect on the conversation Danielle and I had behind the school. I didn't understand how Riley could possibly know what words were exchanged.