nine

"You." I sneered and pointed a finger at the shorter girl in the duo.

A wave of jealously rushed through me when Danielle moved closer to Riley, nudging their shoulders.

I got up from the booth and locked my arm with Riley's, pulling her away from Danielle. "Let's go home Riles."

Riley didn't move. She stood her ground, feet planted firmly on the hard restaurant floor. "I don't want tooo." She whined. "What's wrong with Dani?"

A million thoughts were running through my head at once. But my only instinct was to grab Riley go as far away from this other girl as possible. "I'll explain later." I frowned and tugged her once again, to no avail.

Out of nowhere, Danielle stepped into the conversation. "Listen, Maya, I'm sorry about the other day it just slipped out, okay?" She smiled falsely.

I ignored her apology and rolled my eyes, throwing her a quick middle finger when Riley and Danielle weren't paying attention to me.

"Wait a minute, she's the girl from your art class?" Riley asked, pointing a finger at Danielle.

"Yes! Do you understand why I want to leave now?" I replied, tugging her arm.

"Well, she apologized! Please can we stay?" A pout appeared on Riley's face as she waited for my response. I turned my head away, knowing that I wouldn't be able to say no if I saw how stupidly cute she looked.

"Fine. Whatever. 1 hour and we're leaving." I mumbled under my breath, staring at the ground.

When did I become so whipped?

Riley grinned widely and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Thank you Maya." She said into my ear before pecking my cheek lightly.

The side of my face burned as the heat rose. I kept my head down to hide my blush as the three of us sat in the booth.

Once I was settled with Riley and Danielle sitting in front of me, I shot death glare at her. "So? Care to explain where you've been?"

Riley's foot tapped me gently under the table. "Play nice." She warned.

"It's okay." Danielle shrugged. "We were just exploring the great city of New York, that's it."

"You, are the worst." I groaned, wanting to be anywhere but here at the moment.

"How the hell did you guys even meet?" I questioned.

"Funny story actually." Riley laughed. "I was sitting there trying to work your flip phone when I see Dani running frantically into your backyard"

"She what?!" I stood up and slammed the table, not believing that she found out where I lived. "Are you serious right now? That must be illegal."

"The wind blew my papers from school into your backyard." Dani answered, nonchalantly.

I wanted to question her further. Something about her story didn't sound very believable. Especially considering the fact that school doesn't even start until next week. I refrained from doing so in case Riley felt the need to scold me again.