22: I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Well. I lied.

I situated myself on the couch of my new home in front of my tv, holding the remote while staring at the blank screen. I hadn't turned the TV on yet, I was just staring, willing myself to turn it on but I was trying to convince myself not to flip on the news.

But, come on, we all knew I'd cave eventually.

Surprisingly enough, one of Gotham's most prestigious billionaires, Bruce Wayne, donated $20,000 to furnish my new home in an attempt to keep me satisfied with it. According to the police officers who delivered the check to me, Wayne humored, "It would cost the city a hell of a lot of money to ensure she can afford a living environment she won't want to leave, than seeing her go back to Joker because of tough financial times."

I wasn't sure why Wayne would take it upon himself to do something for the city, besides boosting his fame and earning himself a front page in the newspaper, but I wasn't about to argue.

Thankfully, when I was released back to a normal life, they didn't release my real name. They couldn't, if they were focused on my rehabilitation into the new world. They also didn't show any pictures of my full face. Only what I looked like with my getup on. They even gave me a new name so Joker couldn't track me.

I dyed my hair black and got a haircut. During the month I was hospitalized, my hair grew enough to cover the back of my neck, and I made sure they made my hair even. It was shorter than I was used to. Way shorter. But it'd grow back eventually.

I snapped out of my thought process and ran my thumb over the buttons on the remote. I sighed and bit my lip, considering it one last time before finally deciding to click the power button.

My tv came to life, and my shaky fingers pressed the buttons until I had entered in the news channel. I threw my remote across the room with a yelp as I realized I had done something I shouldn't have, Charlotte would be so angry at me.

"-iss Morphine's sudden check of sanity changed Harley Quinn from temporary, to permanent as Joker's accomplice in crime," and as the newscaster spoke, a picture came on the screen of Joker and Harley laughing together, holding AK-47's - One of which was mine, I could tell by the scuff marks - while holding hands. My stomach churned hard as the picture changed to the same scene but different frame. They were kissing.

I ran to the remote and quickly turned off my tv before collapsing on the floor, legs shaking and unable to stand. I felt weak, and it felt as if I was a bit more aware of my stomach acid. I felt uneasy, and ready to puke.

It was time to call for help, I realized as I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and shakily dialed Charlotte's number. She answered after the first ring. "Hello? Sweetie?"

"I watched the news," I spoke with hesitation. "Please come over. I need some support."

"Say no more, girlie. I'm on my way." She hung up as I stared at my phone.

He was just one dial away.

He was with that bitch when he should have been with me. I was the one who stole his heart. He's probably just faking to make me jealous so I'd come crawling back. . .

God, I missed his kisses. The smell of his coat. . . The way he made love to me all night. . .

I let out a gasp of pleasure. Fuck. It'd been too long since he ran his gloved hand along my skin. Since he'd snicker in pleasure at the things I'd do. . .

"Nope!" I sighed out loud, shaking my head. "Fucking horn dog. God damn it." I walked into the kitchen and splashed cold water in my face.

The front door swung open. I had made Charlotte a copy of the key just in case I flew off the handle and she had to come stop me.

"Kitchen!" I shouted as she came rushing in. She frowned upon seeing my wet, dripping face.

"I saw the news and saw that Joker is back with his ex and I'm scared I'm going to go running back into his arms because I'm in love with him even though he's an asshole who tried ruining my life in a desperate attempt to keep me with him forever without consulting me first because honestly asking me to marry him is legitimately the sane man's way of locking a girl down but I have a better sense of self now and I am better than how he wanted me to turn out," I took a deep breath of air. "And I want my decisions to be my decisions because it is MY life. If I decide him, then he's going to take advantage of me like he does Harley. I can't trust him. And above all, I can't forgive him for what he did."

Charlotte ran to me and pulled me into a tight hug. "I stand by your decisions."

I started to cry as I buried my head into her neck. "What do I do, Charlotte? I love him."

"But does he understand what love is?" She questioned, stroking my hair. "Does he respect you?"

"I thought he did. But he doesn't."

"First, work on yourself. Go to school. I know you're a good Doctor, I've seen you in action. You can do this. In a few years, maybe you'll have your head on straight, and you'll be able to make your own decisions, you'll be able to be your own person. You've let other people dictate what you do. Well. Not anymore."

I pulled away from her and smiled weakly. "I love you, best friend."

She smiled and wiped my tears from my face. "And I love you, girly."