7: Mending Us

Charlotte had already went home.

Joker was in his office, and I was in the bedroom. We hadn't made contact since earlier when Charlotte had to intervene.

It was time to confront the man.

I slipped out of bed and put my hair up in a ponytail. The walk to the office felt like it took forever just because I was so nervous. I loved the man, but sometimes, God. . .

I knocked on the door.

"Occupado," he responded. I groaned and knocked harder. "Are you deaf?"

"No," I answered back sharply. After a few moments of silence, the door was abruptly ripped open. I looked around him to examine the room.

"Looking for something?" he questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Mmhmm, naked floozies."

He rolled his eyes. "No. None of those." He let go of the door and walked back to the desk. I followed and placed my hands on it, staring at him. Still, he refused eye contact.

"Are we going to talk about the little incident from the other night?" I questioned.

"Oh, yeah, once we talk about the little incident in the middle of the city." His words caused me to shift in my stance and roll my eyes, pursing my lips and looking at the floor "Ah, wow, funny, you don't want to talk about that."

"You know what, Joker?" I questioned angrily. "You remember how it was like when you got your scars, don't you?" His eyes watched me. They were hard, merciless, almost demanding. "I wanted this life, but I didn't want this."

"You're angry because now you can't bail whenever you want to."

"How could you think that?" I could see the tears clouding my vision. "I chose you, Joker. I left that life for you."

"Then what's the problem?" he asked.

I shook my head, I blinked, causing the tears to stream down my face. "I told myself I'd never let anyone hurt me. and I let it happen. I dropped my guard, and I let Riddler's man slice me up. I have to get back at Riddler, or I'll never forgive myself."

"Then let me help, you, Lucy!" Joker roared, getting up from his seat so fast it flew back and slammed against the wall behind him. I flinched. "You keep acting like you're in this alone. What about me?"

"What about you?" I barked. "Where were you?"

He laughed now. I folded my arms and watched him. "I wasn't in the middle of Gotham fucking city, spewing bullets everywhere as people could have easily shot my brains out. I wasn't throwing my life away because someone hurt me."

I put my head in my hands. My chest hurt. It felt too heavy to breathe properly. "I just. . . I thought you'd support me."

Joker hesitated before he made his way over to me. He grabbed my hands gently and pulled them away from my face. He grabbed my chin and lifted it up so I was looking in his eyes. They were hopeful now. Firm. Determined.

"I'm working on it, Missy. I'm going to make sure Riddler pays."

I smiled at this. His gloved hand cupped my face as his other arm snaked around the small of my waist, our eyes locking as he rested his forehead against mine. I placing my mouth against his, and just like that. . .

Boom. Fireworks. My heart skipped a beat at this loving, passionate kiss. His arms snaked around my waist, he pulled me closer to him. "Nobody hurts my girl," he growled. "Nobody." He kissed my left cheek, right above my scar.