27: Party Crasher

When Wayne and I entered the room at the top floor of Wayne Tower, everyone in sight stopped speaking to turn to look at us. Wayne gave a wave of the hand and a gleaming smile. "Oh, don't stop on account of me! I'll make my big speech later."

The room had floors as shiny as Wayne's teeth, marbled floors on every inch of the large room that probably cost more than my entire house, five chandeliers that cost more than any car I had ever owned towering over certain sections of the vast room, not one light bulb duller than the rest. There were several tables for guests to sit down at, and a mini-bar with more alcohol than I had ever seen. All of it was overwhelmingly screaming "I'm rich," not at all my taste. 

A few people in the crowd raised their champagne flutes before going back to their conversations, others continued looking at Wayne, smiling even. I was confused on the level of admiration Wayne got, but that was just from the perspective of me, the ex-supervillain.

I almost rolled my eyes at everyone in this damned place. All these women with Gucci pumps, Louis Vuitton hand bags, millions worth of jewelry strung around their necks. And the men, with Armani suits and ties of rich fabric that was also probably as much as their female companions' dresses. Awful use of money.

I stopped snarling when Wayne nudged me with his elbow gently. I turned to give him an eye roll. "I hate this lifestyle, sorry."

Wayne frowned. "This is the lifestyle most people work hard to achieve. I'll respect your opinion as long as you respect my guests. Don't scare them off, champ." He smiled and waved at someone, and started to head over to speak to the person. It was a bald-headed Caucasian male with a young woman linked on his arm. Nasty. 

I snorted and flashed a clearly fake, large smile directed towards the people around me who hadn't removed their eyes from me, probably believing me to be Wayne's new girl of the night, before reaching for a champagne flute that a waiter had brought to me on a small, circular black tray. I downed it in two swigs before placing it back on his tray, and walking to the window to look outside.

"Hello, miss," I heard a male voice. I almost ignored it, until I realized it was directed to me, as I felt an unwavering presence beside me. 

I turned now, meeting the eyes of an attractive blonde man with green eyes. He was the same height as Wayne, but a bit less cut than him. He flashed me a million dollar smile, pearly, straight white teeth blinding and all.

I forced a smile. "Hi."

"You seem awfully uncomfortable. Not used to these types of events?"

"No, my parents used to drag me to events like these when I was in my late teens, early twenties. I just don't fancy them." I folded my arms and looked outside the window again. 

The man chuckled. "Are you Bruce's date tonight?"

"Body guard," I spoke with a sigh, to which he chuckled. 

"No, seriously."

My eyes narrowed and I directed my eyes to him, opening my mouth to give him a verbal slap, but I was cut off by the sound of a gunshot. I turned my entire body to look at the direction from which it came from. The elevator.

From the elevator emerged the one man I didn't want to see. The Joker. I hissed and took out a knife from my purse, striding over to The Joker as the blonde man gripped on to my wrist.

"Don't!" He spoke in fear. I shook him off.

"Well, well, well, why didn't I get an invitation?" Joker cackled as he scanned the room, left to right, until his eyes landed on me. A flash of confusion struck his face before I walked in front of him, knife pointed at him. Everyone gasped. 

"Leave."

"Oh, someone's bold," Joker cackled as he placed his hand on my shoulder. I brushed it off and grabbed his shotgun out of his hands so fast he didn't have time to pull it back from me. I unloaded it and threw the bullets behind my shoulder, then threw the gun to the ground. I folded my arms as I heard more people gasp.

"Get. Out." I seethed.

"What's your game?" Joker questioned me with a growl.

"I'm protecting this party. Get out."

Joker started cackling again. "Well, little miss here is strong, isn't she?" He spoke before he pushed me out of the way and started heading to Bruce. "But not the person I want to talk to."

I ran up to him and grabbed his hand, trying to pull him back to look at me. He growled and grabbed me by the neck, surprisingly he was gentle as he pushed me against the wall. "You stay out of this."

I kicked him in the stomach, he collapsed, his henchmen, some I recognized, even, came to intervene, but they looked confused, since they clearly recognized me. Joker grabbed my hands and pinned them against the wall, staring into my eyes. My expression didn't falter. He clicked his tongue before sighing, his breath tickling my nose.

"You're on the wrong side, I can blow your cover right here, right now."

"I don't think you want to do that," I warned with a glare. "Because then a certain someone might not be so quick to forgive, and she might never come home to you," I whispered so only he could hear. "Let me live my damn life, let me figure my shit out."

He stared at me before yanking his hands off of my wrists. "I'll speak to you later, Brucey," He spoke, pointing at Bruce before laughing and leaving the same way he came. 

All eyes were on me now, and once everyone was sure Joker was gone, I received a standing ovation. I just forced a smile before scurrying off to the lady's room, desperately wanting to avoid the attention.