Chapter Eleven

God! If only I was able to sleep! If I didn't wake up then I would have never seen what I just witnessed a few minutes ago. I hated myself for leaving my room and investigating, atleast I wouldn't have had an evil blanket suffocating me, strangling me and making me question my very safety and more importantly, my baby's safety. I grabbed a cold glass of water on my bedside table that I refilled a few seconds ago and gulped it down quickly but nothing could calm my nerves. Nothing. 

 (Half an hour ago)

I stirred out of my sleep when I heard the cry of a baby. The first thought that entered my head was Samuel, I recognised his cry anywhere and he was the only baby born so far in this hospital. But... Samuel is meant to be with Chichi and I haven't seen her since the incident. Everyone assumed Chichi left a month ago but I knew that she was still hidden somewhere in the building with Samuel until she recovered. I kept my eyes peeled just so I could make sure that I could atleast bid goodbye to her when she really left. Was she leaving now? Was that why I could hear Samuel?

I jumped out of bed and grabbed my robe which I tied on top of my nightgown. It was a windy night and I checked the alarm clock near my bed. 3am. I frowned, why would they be leaving at this time? I opened my door and peered around the hallway but it seemed as if everyone else was dead to the world. I was about to leave the room when I realised that the button was left behind. I dashed back in and clipped it on to my nightgown. Leaving my room I stood in the hallway, unsure of what to do. I was making my way down the stairs when I heard the cry again and this time I knew it belonged to Samuel. My attention went towards the window at the end of the hallway. The sound of his crying was much more clear from there. I wrapped my robe tighter as the cold breeze slithered around my body. I peered through the window to see a waiting flying-van and a man outside smoking an         e-cigarette.

"What are you doing?" whispered someone from behind me. I jumped up with a shock as Macy appeared. I clutched my chest in fright and motioned for her to be quiet. We both looked down at the man who coughed out a heavy mucus cough and placed his e-cigarette inside his shirt pocket. 

"Who is he and what's he doing here?" Macy asked.

"I have no idea but we'll soon find out" 

The sound of doors beeping and then opening caught our attention and we moved closer towards the window to get a better view. I would have opened the window if it wasn't for the high-tech lock that contained us in. Two men walked out pushing a gurney. 

"What the hell is the gurney for? Who are they carrying out?" I asked but my question was already being answered. A strong gust of wind bashed through the air and lifted the white blanket covering the face of the person. Me and Macy both gasped in shock as Chichi's face was revealed but she definitely did not look like the beautiful woman that me and Macy first saw and met. Her face was bruised and if you looked closer you could still see the small bloodstains on the blanket covering her. 

"Chichi! Is she dead? I thought she went home!" Macy whispered as tears rolled down her cheeks silently. I squeezed her shoulders in comfort but we both still looked on, unable to tear our eyes away from the horrific sight and fate of our friend. The men placed the gurney into the van and the smoker travelled around the van and opened his passenger door. Inside there was no hiding the fact that he had a shovel kept beside him. The van flew away. To bury Chichi. 

My heart dropped. What was going on? They told her that the incident that happened with Chichi was normal. So why was she dead? What had happened to her so severely that her life was taken away so soon?

Macy sobbed as the unfortunate fate of her friend was played before her but the horror wasn't over just yet. The large doors opened again and we both spotted Samuel. He was in the arms of Dr Jeffrey who was failing to stop the little boy's cries and wails. A couple jumped out of a sleek black car that was parked outside of the hospital. I didn't notice them waiting. The woman was a beautiful middle aged woman, wearing a long black overcoat and flats. She walked towards Samuel and gushed at him. Carrying him in her arms she kissed his cheek. The man beside her shook hands with Dr Jeffrey and handed him an envelope with an electronic seal placed on top of it. I couldn't help but notice the grey streaks of hair that were growing at the sides of his head.

"What are they doing with little Samuel?" I asked nervously. Samuel was crying loudly and I was aching to carry him in my arms and silence his pitiful sobs. Macy slowly slid down to the floor unable to watch anymore and began rocking back and forth. She was mumbling something that I couldn't quite catch. My heart pounded as I noticed that her erratic behaviour reminded me of people locked in asylums. 

"Macy, slow down, what are you saying?" I asked her quietly, trying to stop her from waking anyone else up. She stopped her rocking abruptly and stared at me, her eyes looked like they were sunk into her sockets. Her lip quivered. She was scared.

"Don't you understand Hazel? What they're doing? This is some kind of illegal adoption service. They're going to kill us once our babies are born and give them up for adoption. That's what the envelope was for. It had money. They're going to take my baby away from me!" she weeped. My heart pounded against my ribcage. No. This wasn't possible. They were being funded by the government, they won't let this happen. I won't let them take my baby away from me. Not after what I've been through. I'd kill Dr Jeffrey before he could even think of it. Macy was going hysterics. She was laughing through her tears.

"And you know what the best part is? They can kill us without leaving a trace of us being murdered. They could spurn countless lies of us not wanting to be part of the experiment anymore and we all walked out. They'll brings stupid human rights involved and stuff about how they couldn't force us to stay because of our rights and so they let us go, so no blame is put on them. They'll be the the great government and we're the women who weren't able to commit"

"There must be some trace left behind!"

"We live in a new century Hazel. The era of new technology. So many things have been improved for the better, or in our case, worse. Incinerators have been improved to get rid of all rubbish without even releasing toxic fumes. Global warming is reducing because of the deduction in air pollution. I heard that they're now using it on people so there's less burial sites. There is absolutely no way anyone will understand what has happened to us" Macy laughed through her tears. My heart beat uncontrollably. Everything she said was perfectly true. 

I realised that the unstabled woman in front of me was getting out of control. I slowly helped her up and took her to my room and consoled her until she stopped crying and began snivelling. 

"Don't tell anyone about this. It's harmful for their health if we shock the other ladies. We'll solve this ourselves" I reassured Macy, but my mouth tasted bitter as I realised that I was copying the exact worrds of what Anna told me before. Macy rubbed her eyes and nodded determinedly. 

"Anything for him" Macy motioned to her bump. I smiled and kissed her cheek. 

"Go to bed now and just try to have a good sleep. We'll talk more about... this in the morning" I told her. Macy bid me goodnight and left the room. I closed the door and that's when my tears poured out. How could this have happened?

I was in danger. This wasn't just some government scam. I was involved in something more dangerous. I was in a situation where all of our lives were at stake. I wasn't playing little detective anymore. I lay down on my bed, without a clue of what to do. I wanted my dad. I wanted my little brother.

My name is Hazel and I'm so afraid.

>>>> @Americangirl123 made a beautiful cover on the side!