Having reached the car I grabbed the bags and then brought them back inside. When I came to Danielle's room I knocked and waited for an answer. Hearing nothing after a few seconds I knocked again. I found that odd since when I left her she was gushing about how much she loved the room and how it was 'giving her life,' whatever that meant.

Slowly I cracked open the door and peeked my head in. Surprisingly, I found her sleeping on top of the covers on the bed. I guess she was still tired from last night. Putting her bags down near the closet I decided to let her sleep until it was time for dinner later.

I needed to choose what to cook. I had no idea what Danielle liked to eat so I was a little stumped on what to make. In fact, I didn't know any of her preferences. Over dinner I would get to know her better. Did she have any allergies? Phobias? Pet peeves? It was important I knew these things since we were going to be living together.

I wanted to have dinner ready by the time she woke up but I also had to check my emails since I was gone most of today. The meal would have to be something simple and quick. While walking to the kitchen I settled on making chicken with rice and vegetables.

In a little over an hour everything was finished. I left the chicken in the oven and the rice and vegetables covered to keep everything warm. I strode to my office to check my emails. I was sure I had hundreds by now since it was so late in the day. I began checking each one and responding when necessary. After 30 minutes my eyes were already getting tired. I rubbed them with my thumb and forefinger and took a deep breath. Shortly following my brief break I went back to reading my emails when I got to the one I was expecting, from Brett:

WHERE THE FUCK IS DANIELLE?! I KNOW YOU KNOW WHERE SHE IS! YOU CAN'T HIDE HER FOREVER!

Watch me, I thought. Ignoring his message I continued going through my emails until I heard soft footsteps coming toward my office. Anticipating Danielle's appearance my heart beat a little faster. She stood in the doorway looking adorable as she rubbed her eyes trying to wake herself up fully.

"Did you sleep well princess?" I asked. I hadn't meant to let that endearment slip out but now that I had I felt no regret.

She groaned, "Bryan, why are you calling me princess? My name is Danielle."

"Well you told me not to call you angel so princess it is," I said attempting to hold in my laughter at the annoyed expression on her face.

She huffed, "Fine. Since I'm the princess, how about you feed me peasant."

Surprised at her snarky comment I threw my head back in laughter. When I had finished she was staring at me with a look of wonder. Confused I asked, "What?"

Blushing she answered, "Nothing," a bit too quickly but I let it slide.

"You'll be happy to know that I've already cooked dinner for you, Princess," I said emphasizing her newly acquired title.

Continuing her act she lifted her head and in a dramatic voice told me, "Then lead the way my good man."

"First I'm a 'peasant' and now I'm a 'good man.' I should make cooking for you a habit," I teased her.

"Shut up and take me to the food," she retorted.

Chuckling I stood up from behind my desk and headed for the kitchen.

"Slow down!" She called from behind me. I turned around to see her jogging to catch up to me.

"Oh yes forgive me. I forgot you have little legs."

"Um excuse me? I am average height. You're just a freakishly large man!" She gasped and then said, "I'm sorry Bryan, I shouldn't have said that. I'm cranky after I wake up."

"I noticed," I said smiling, then added, "No need to apologize princess. I find your bluntness refreshing." We were now in the kitchen where I grabbed some plates and loaded them with food. We took our plates to the table and dug in. Neither of us had eaten today so we were ravenous. Conversation had to wait until after we finished.

I learned she was allergic to cats and pollen, was deathly afraid of clowns, and hated when people clapped at the end of movies in the theater. Everything she told me had a hilarious story behind it making her all the more captivating.

We sat at the table talking for hours and I was growing tired. I fought it because I was having such a good time talking to Danielle but she suggested I go to sleep. I tried to explain to her that I was taking off from work tomorrow but she was unwavering in her resolve to get me to sleep.

"Bryan you need to get some rest. You've been taking care of me all day and now you should take care of yourself," she said looking into my eyes. One look from her warm brown eyes and I would do anything. She didn't know that yet and I wanted to keep it that way.

Sighing I said, "Ok, ok, you're right. At least let me clean up the dishes."

"Absolutely not. I'll do that. I'm the one who slept away most of the day," she said standing up and moving in front of me.

"Very well then, I'll go," I said grabbing her hand and gently bringing it to my lips. "Goodnight Danielle."

I heard her intake of breath and saw her blush before she said, "Goodnight Bryan." I walked to my room beaming knowing that my dreams would be filled with a sweet but feisty woman who had already taken over my home and possibly my heart too.

Wow I can't believe the story is at 2K reads! That's awesome! Thank you all for reading and I'll try to keep the updating regular 😩🙏🏾