Chapter 12

Danielle POV

About three hours later my things were packed and we were headed to wherever it was that Bryan lived. He wouldn't tell me exactly where it was. When I asked him he told me it was best I didn't know. Who was I going to tell anyway? The only friend I had was Angie and now I wouldn't see her anymore since I no longer worked for Mr. Williams.

"Are you warm enough?" Bryan asked me. It was December and the weather certainly felt like it.

"Yes, thank you," I answered.

We had been driving for 30 minutes already and I had no idea how close we were to Bryan's place. "How much further?" I asked Bryan.

I noticed the corner of his mouth lift up before he responded, "Close to an hour."

"What?!" I said incredulously.

Chuckling Bryan said, "Don't worry Danielle. You're safe with me."

I stiffened at hearing those familiar words. Mr. Williams had said almost the same thing right before he attacked me.

Picking up on my sudden tension Bryan asked, "Are you alright Danielle?"

I gulped and squeaked out, "Mmhmm."

Not convinced he questioned me further. "Was it something I said?"

Hesitantly I said, "It's just that your brother told me the same thing and it turned out to be a lie."

Glancing at me and then back at the rode Bryan spoke, "I understand it's going to be hard for you to fully trust me Danielle. You don't know much about me and that lack of knowledge paired with your experience of my brother's character makes you weary of me. I want to earn your trust and give you a chance to know me, starting now." He gave me a dazzling smile before ending with, "Ask me anything you want."

I felt comforted by his words. He was giving me some control in the situation which I desperately needed. My life had been uprooted in less than a day. Bryan was trying to make this all a bit easier for me. "Um...for starters, how old are you?"

"32."

"Oh." He was 10 years older than me. "Practically a grandpa," I muttered to myself.

"What was that?" Bryan asked. Oops! I think he heard me. "And how old are you?" He asked me.

"Oh no you don't. I'm asking the questions here," I told him.

He cracked a smile and then replied, "Yes of course, you're right. Next question."

"Have you ever been arrested?"

"Danielle!" He seemed shocked by my question.

"What? I think that's a perfectly suitable question for someone I'm going to be living with," I reasoned.

He sighed and answered, "No, I haven't been."

Good, I thought. "What do you do for a living?"

"I run a non-profit organization that is centered around fighting to prevent child abuse."

"Wow, that's incredible!" I told him smiling.

"We do what we can. I'm passionate about my work. It's a particular problem that hits home," he said while running a hand over his face.

"Did you have rough child hood?" I asked in a small voice. Bryan didn't answer for a minute which made me begin to apologize, "I'm sorry Bryan. I didn't mean to pry."

"No it's fine. I told you you could ask me anything, right?" He turned to me and gave me a smile that didn't reach his eyes. He paused again but this time I patiently waited for him to speak.

"The early years of my life were filled with the love I received from my parents. My mother used to sing me to sleep every night. She made me laugh with her wild stories and kissed away my tears when I was hurt. There was not a thing she wouldn't do for me. She was the kindest woman I've ever known and the life of our home. She doted on Brett and I while my father told her she would spoil us. My father was the stern one but he still loved us. Even though he disciplined us more often than our mother he was very playful with us. He would give Brett piggy back rides and help me play jokes on my mother. Brett doesn't remember any of this because he was so young."

I watched Bryan as he spoke about his family. His bright mood seemed to dim and that told me his happy time as a child didn't last even before he continued.

"My mother died in a car accident when I was 9 and Brett was 2. It was devastating not only for me but my father as well. Brett was so young he didn't really understand what happened to her. My father grieved so much that he neglected Brett and I. Immediately he hired a cold and detached nanny to 'take care' of us. He ignored us for months and I feared he would stay that way forever. On my 10th birthday I went to see him in his office. My nanny tried to discourage me from doing it but I wanted to see him. I thought that maybe spending time together would help cheer us up."

At this point I noticed Bryan's grip on the steering wheel tighten. He kept going, "I was horribly mistaken. As soon as he saw me he smacked me so hard he knocked me into his bookshelf. He told me it was my fault my mother died because she had been on her way to pick me up from school when she got in the accident. The beatings were unpredictable but every time he would tell me it was my fault she was dead and he wished it was me instead."

"Oh Bryan," I said in a soft tone. I was shocked and saddened to hear his childhood had been so tragic. No child should have to go through that. I didn't know what else to say to him.

"Brett became the apple of his eye. He would beat me in front of Brett. Needless to say Brett easily caught on to our father's cruel behavior. Brett learned to respect no one aside from our father. He was a monster in school and treated every girl he met like she was only meant to please him. It grieves me that he turned out the way he did. Our mother would have never wanted it to be like this."

Learning about his upbringing made me feel some empathy toward Mr. Williams. He was corrupted from a young age so it was no surprise he became the man he was today. What I didn't understand was how Bryan ended up being his complete opposite. That kind of childhood could make a person bitter and broken but he was neither of those things. He was strong and here trying to help me.

"Thank you for sharing that with me. You hardly know me and you entrusted me with something so personal." I felt a little closer to him now knowing his background.

"You're welcome Danielle. I'm almost afraid to ask, but anymore questions?"

"No you're safe for now. I think I'll sleep for the rest of the ride. I didn't get much sleep last night," I said with a mock glare directed at him.

Bryan looked at me sheepishly and said, "Oh yes, well don't let me keep you from sleeping...again."

I chuckled and closed my eyes already feeling myself drifting off before hearing him quietly say, "Sleep well angel."