6: Prefect Duties

Start from the beginning

" what does her istikhaara say? " shira asked.

" she too is not feeling positive about this,  but she can't back down now, it'll be insulting both the families according to her, i can't convince her to go against her decision, she has locked herself up and only allowed the beauticians to go in, not me" zara spoke hurt and worry evident in her voice.

"i know why she is doing that,  she doesn't want to break down in front of any of her family members " shira spoke,  now almost in tears. She could not believe that she was not accompanying her friend in an event so important that comes only once in a lifetime if you are lucky enough to work out the marriage.

" i can't be there, and you guys were supposed to return tomorrow after the engagement today " shira spoke with fury surging through her veins at the unexpected turn of events.

" i know, i am returning tomorrow only, rubina however wouldn't ,  she'll join us later" zara spoke her voice getting heavy. Shira's eyes pooled up with tears. She was missing out on her best friend's wedding.

"rubina was missing you so much in the morning and suddenly she turned so rigid and hard, she's not even talking to me" zara spoke making shira dread every passing moment.

"it's His plan,  we can't change it even if we want to" shira spoke grief clouding her emotions.

"i'll skype you when the nikkha commences,  have a nice day and take care,  salam" shira replied to the salam and hung up.

Shira's insides churned, she just wanted to catch the immediate flight to dubai,  but still she would not have reached in time to stop and change things, even if she could,  knowing rubina,  she knew that girl would go to any lengths to see her family happy. She felt sleep deprived, after dropping her friends to the airport three days ago,  she had to go about for some arrangements for the event and came back late at night yesterday. Then after a while she woke up for fajr prayers and was once again out in a jiffy.

She did her necessary business in the bathroom and took a hot shower. Once done she slipped into some comfortable clothing comprising of a blend of aqua and lapis blue. It was the theme today.  Spring colours. Although she would have preferred her plain black clothes,  she was obliged to follow the spring rules.

She brushed her mahogany hair and tied it up in a pony and just threw a scarf over her head messily.

She walked out of her apartment with her bag pack and tried to keep low key with her vibrant clothing. She loved colours but preferred not to wear them. She wanted minimal attention and dressing in all black and white helped her with that. She drove to the university in zara's car and on the way dropped by to Starbucks for a quick breakfast.

She reached the grounds where the event was to be held and was held surprised. The event had barely begun and people were swarming in large groups already. She did not want to imagine what would happen for the rest of the day.

"good morning shira, hope you are doing good today" her friend kate greeted her and shira gave her a dimpled smile.

"yes,  and i hope the same for you" kate nodded her head enthusiastically.  Kate was her friend,  a good one and a fellow prefect. They had spent numerous occasions together helping out each other and shira admired kate's helping nature.

"okay now we need to head over there, and follow the self proclaimed leader's command" kate rolled her eyes as she pointed at a crowd of prefects who had assembled at one of the corners of the square ground. The place was remarkably set and a generous amount had been spent in sponsoring the event. It had booths set up by registered student volunteers. Booths of all kinds were present. Each row and columns of booths had different colours, bringing out the spring spirits. Rows of food stalls as well as game booths were set up.  A stage to spread the awareness speech and many other such programmes were going to be held that day. All of the money generated would be distributed to various places across the globe.