Chapter 12

Chance
(Corwin Development Corporation) The Next Day

I was late to work this morning for the first time, ever. I stopped on my way in and had the autographed Playbill from Avalon custom framed. She wrote, "To Chance: My Adoring Fan. I'll always remember Central Park in autumn. Love always, Avalon." She had me so confused, that I didn't sleep a wink all night.

The frame was finished and looked sensational. I paid for it, and hurried out the door to get to work. I flew onto the elevator and pressed the button for the 36th floor. As soon as I got out of the elevator, I was greeted by Elizabeth in the lobby.

Elizabeth looked at her watch. "Good morning, Mr. Corwin. Barbara has been worried."

"I had to make a stop this morning. Thank you Elizabeth, I know I'm never late." I winked at her and opened the door to the main offices.

"Good morning Mr. Corwin, I was concerned that something might have happened to you. You are always here early. Everyone has been calling you." She handed me a stack of messages. Barbara wasn't kidding.

"Thank you, I'm fine. I had to run an errand on my way into work and it took longer than I expected. Can you tell my brother, Alex, that I'll meet with him at 11:30 a.m. to go over the financial reports?" I walked past Barbara's desk, as I juggled my briefcase, the stack of messages, and my package from the frame store.

I made it to my office without running into anyone. I decided to keep my same office after my father passed away. I couldn't bring myself to move into his office. There were too many memories of him. My brother, Alex, became the new CFO and he took our father's office. He was new to working here and was dealing with his grief differently.

I had just taken Avalon's framed Playbill out of the package, admiring it. I sat it on my desk before Michelle came waltzing in, without knocking on my office door.

"Good morning Chance. I couldn't believe you were late this morning. You weren't home last night, did you oversleep?" Michelle stood there looking at me inquisitively, with her arms folded.

"Everyone runs a little late at some point. Since when do you walk into my office unannounced, with my door closed?" I was beyond annoyed with her and I felt my privacy was invaded.

"I thought that since we are dating, you had an open door policy for me. And you still didn't answer my question." She had an attitude with me.

"Well, my door wasn't open. To answer your question, I went to see Avalon perform in her musical last night. I had to make a quick stop before work this morning. I think that covers everything." I was done being questioned, as if I were a child.

"Oh, I see you have a new picture frame on your desk." Michelle picked up the framed Playbill, before I could intervene.

She froze, as she read Avalon's words. "Wasn't that nice of her to autograph your Playbill? It must have meant a lot to you, especially since you stopped the next morning to have it framed." Michelle's countenance changed, as she put the frame back on my desk. She didn't say another word about it, or the fact that I went alone to the Play.

"Would you like to have lunch today? I wanted to make up for the immature way I acted after ice skating on Sunday. We need to spend some quality time together." She transformed and became sweet as pie, but I knew the real reason why.

"I have a meeting with Alex at 11:30 a. m. I was going to order lunch for us, here in my office. We have a lot financial issues to go over today and we'll probably be a while." I'm glad I had a real excuse, because I was not ready to have lunch with Michelle today. I have a lot on mind, and a lot of feelings to sort out.