Chapter 183 - Almost the Same

Or almost the same. Roy wore glasses, like Victor, and had the same light brown hair, cut short like Victor's. His eyes were the same – a sharp, dark brown that narrowed slightly when he looked at you. And the way he moved his body was the same, graceful as a knife in water. But there the similarities stopped. His voice, when he said hello, was deeper and more abrupt. And his handshake was brief and crisp, not like Victor who would hold on for awhile and stare into your eyes. He didn't pay much attention to me, probably hopeful that I would leave as soon as possible so he could be alone with Janet. Pretty much the first thing he did when he entered the room was put his arms around her and hug her tight.

 Pretty much the first thing he did when he entered the room was put his arms around her and hug her tight

Janet started a pot of coffee. "Nicole's a painter," she said by way of introduction. Roy didn't seem too interested in that, so she added: "She knew your brother."

That got Roy's attention. He gave me a quick, speculative look and said, "How?"

"I was a client. In fact, I've been writing about him and his practice on my blog."

Now I really had his attention. "That's not necessarily a wise thing to do. What's the name of your website?"

I gave him the information and he looked it up as we were talking. "Why isn't it a wise thing?" I asked.

"Victor spells trouble."

"Well, what happened to him?" I sensed with Roy it was important to get right to the point.

"Wouldn't we all like to know. We've kept this house so he'd have someplace to return to. All his research is here plus the plants he was growing in the back."

"So you think he's still alive?"

Roy shrugged and put down his phone. "With Victor anything is possible. I like your website, but if I were you, I'd stop writing about my brother."

"Bad karma?" Janet suggested.

"Yes, exactly," Roy said. "Bad luck could come your way."

Well, that gave me pause

Well, that gave me pause. I swallowed and pretended to be invisible as Roy put his arms around Janet and kissed her on the neck. What I really wanted to do was get him away from Janet and interrogate him. Ask him to take me to the shed out back. Ask him to open those locked desk drawers. Ask him about the Bukh. But I wasn't sure how to do that since Roy's mind was clearly on seduction, and it was becoming more and more obvious that it was time for me to leave.